• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lance Thornton

Hi all,

My wife's pc has win2k on it. We did an update from Microsoft and now there is no internet connection. I've tried everything that I know to do, but I am wondering what will happen if I reinstall windows completely. Has anyone had any experience with this? If not, can anyone guide me to the right path? Thanks for the help!

LT

No excperince myself but can we have some more details? Like was it a DSL connection before if so how was it connected. Also is the modem still detected in device manager? Have you tried to uninstall the update? Was it a service pack or just an update? My first thing to try would be unistall update and reinstall modem drivers. Also redo the connection like go through connection wizard again. BTW your icon is very distracting, I couldnt type without stairing at it for like 5 mins haha.

If it's a high speed connection, and tenchi's idea doesn't work, sometimes removing the network adapter from the device manager, then re-installing it, and setting up the connection again sometimes will solve the problem.

Sorry, I should have clarified things more. It was the high speed connection that failed. I replaced the nic with 2 different ones. Neither would work properly. They would both obtain an IP address, but IE, liveupdate and anything else would not connect. I am at a loss here. Thanks again for the help.

You didn't mention whether or not you tried either tenchi86's or CrystalMethod's suggestions, and if you did...what was the outcome?
tenchi86 said:
Is the modem still detected in device manager? Have you tried to uninstall the update? Was it a service pack or just an update? My first thing to try would be unistall update and reinstall modem drivers. Also redo the connection like go through connection wizard again.
CrystalMethod said:
Sometimes removing the network adapter from the device manager, then re-installing it, and setting up the connection again sometimes will solve the problem

Have you tried going to IE prefrences and setting your connection to defualt? Sometimes like if an update messes with IE the settings can be erased.

It was just a critical update, not a service pack. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one it was.
The nic was detected in control panel. Actually, all nics were detected.
The uninstall and reinstall of the drivers worked flawlessly, but the problem still existed.
I did try creating a new connection with the wizard. The same problem was still there.
I hooked up her hard drive as a slave to mine and ran a full virus and spyware scan. It came back clean on both counts.
I tried to figure out which updates I downloaded, but I couldn't sort by date installed.

Thanks again for the help, I really do appreciate it.

I don't remember offhand if W2K has the option or not...at the top of Add or Remove Programs, if there's a "Show updates" checkbox? If there is, put a check in that box and wait for the installed updates to show up at the bottom of the window. Each Hotfix should show an "Installed On" and a corresponding date in the RH column next to each entry.

If you could scroll down enough to show all the Hotfix's installed, then take a screenshot, we could get an idea of which updates have been installed, and when. You could also expand the Winnt directory...all the installed Hotfix's should show up at the top of the directory in the LH pane; in blue if you have the option, with the KB number (which should be sorted from oldest to newest numerically, and with the Date Modified-->"Show Details" of each in the RH pane).

Are you running thru a router or switch? Maybe try unplugging or shutting off everything and then starting it all back up from the modem first?

I also tried the router substitution idea. It still failed. I'm going out to get a copy of XP Home and a new harddrive. I'm going to hook up her old one as a slave and try to take care of everything that way. Thanks for all the help, but for once, I'm really at a total loss.

Can you access the internet with other programs, such as Outlook or MSN Messenger? Is your NIC card obtaining an IP lease? Can you ping other servers on the internet (such as google.com)?

Open up a DOS box and type ipconfig. See if your NIC is getting an IP. If it is, try pinging a site from the same DOS box. If it'll ping the site, then your problem probably lies within Internet Explorer settings.

Before going and spending gobs of money on a new HD and a copy of WinXP, let's try to diagnose this problem further, shall we?

Just an addendum to my previous post...I had forgotten about the Qfecheck.exe tool available from MS for checking to see what updates/hotfixes have been installed...

Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows 2000 and Windows XP Hotfixes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q282784

...since not all installed updates or hotfixes can be removed (in my previous post I mentioned opening Add or Remove Programs, then putting a check in the "Show updates" checkbox), and some don't always show up under the C:\WINNT directory.
Qfecheck.exe determines which hotfixes are installed by reading the information that is stored in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates

Using the file version information that is stored in this key by each hotfix that is installed, the Qfecheck.exe tool checks the installed binary files to verify that they match.

When it happens to me it was normally the router software which needed a fix for the mac address it was using.For me it happens seemingly at random and a manual configuration of the router fixed it.

redduc900 said:
Just an addendum to my previous post...I had forgotten about the Qfecheck.exe tool available from MS for checking to see what updates/hotfixes have been installed...

Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows 2000 and Windows XP Hotfixes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q282784

...since not all installed updates or hotfixes can be removed (in my previous post I mentioned opening Add or Remove Programs, then putting a check in the "Show updates" checkbox), and some don't always show up under the C:\WINNT directory.

That's really cool! Thanks!

.h4x0r// said:
That's really cool! Thanks!

I have to agree! It's a neat program that will go on my usb cruzer soon. Thanks again for all the help to everyone, and I did save the old hard drive to take care of and diagnose when I have time.

Thanks again all!

Back