• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget for a radbox - any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
My only frustration with watercooling so far has been transporting my Chieftech full tower (I mean full, 6 5.25" bays) around. The idea came to me today to get a cheaper aluminum case and build a wooden box underneath it for the radiators and pump. I could join the two with some valves or something so that I could just sort of seal off the system, take the two apart, and transport them easily.

I have a little bit of experience with wood from high school woodshop, and I don't think this would be a terribly hard project. I have a skillsaw and dremel at my disposal, and I could get some of the drill bits that make big holes if I need to. My only concern is cost, and finding a router to make joints on the edges of the wood I use. Can Home Depot route joints for you? And does anyone have an idea of how much I would be paying for a plywood box about 20"x7"x6"?

To make seperating them easy just use some quick release valves in the tubing. That way you can just pop them apart and have the two seperate cases like you want. Do it somewhere outside your main case that way if they leak they will go on the floor not in the case. Good luck and be sure to include pics!

if you got the tools, i recommend sheet metal, its easy to use and cheap

To make seperating them easy just use some quick release valves in the tubing. That way you can just pop them apart and have the two seperate cases like you want. Do it somewhere outside your main case that way if they leak they will go on the floor not in the case. Good luck and be sure to include pics!
That's more or less the plan. I'm going to use brass shutoff valves (2 in, 2 out) on the outside of the case, so that I can actually seperate the two without fully draining the system.

Back