• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper block tarnish

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkFathom

Registered
Hey,
A few months back i decided to go for water cooling, but am just getting around to it now, anyway, i got out the danger den copper blocks that i bought, and found that they were tarnished, i was just wondering if i should just use regular copper polish or what on them, thanks. :shrug:

wannaoc said:
If its just the bottom of the block you are worried about get some 2500 grit sand paper and do a quick run over it.
No reason at all to use sandpaper. Just a bath in ketcup or vinager(don't see a need for salt) will clear it up, But the tarnish does not effect preformance and thus should not be worried about, unless your going for looks.

Go into your kitchen and ask the chef what they use to clean their stainless steel and copper pots. Use same stuff...women have used the best for a long time so don't go out an re-invent the wheel. :bang head

If your a bachelor and don't know how to clean a pot then scurry down to your favorite department store and get some Revere Ware instant stainless steel and copper pot cleaner. Wipe it on and wipe the tarnish off. Make sure to use some rubber gloves so that your hands don't cause more tarnish and wash off well with H20.

Top Nurse said:
If your a bachelor and don't know how to clean a pot then scurry down to your favorite department store and get some Revere Ware instant stainless steel and copper pot cleaner. Wipe it on and wipe the tarnish off. Make sure to use some rubber gloves so that your hands don't cause more tarnish and wash off well with H20.
Seems like a lot of work when most of us already have a bottle of ketchup. Besides, I'd want to read the label on that "stainless steel and copper pot cleaner" real close. For use on water blocks you don't want anything that leaves a "protective" coating on the metal since that would inhibit heat transfer and I have a feeling something made for pots on display would have such an ingredient.

If one's really worried about looks, clean the block up with ketchup or vinegar and then put a little clear coat on the top/visible portions but leave the bottom that comes into contact with the CPU plain bare metal--no one will see it anyway.

Personally I kind of like the look of tarnished copper. Reminds me of nice old copper plumbing..;)

haha, yeah, i left the sides tarnished and cleaned off the bottom, the old rusty look is pretty cool, btw, the ketchup worked great.

threeme2189 said:
is tarnish the marks left where you touched it and it got a but rusty?

Tarnished copper is just a dull orangish brown instead of shining and gleaming polished metal. It's just what happens to copper exposed to the air, that's all.

Personally, I like the look of nice, clean, bright copper but not enough to uninstall a block to "clean" it or even enough to clear coat it prior to install. It's copper, it tarnishes, no biggie.

What might look good though is to "help" the copper tarnish until it takes on the distinctive green color it gets--I'm sure it takes too long on its own so help would be necessary. In a green themed case that would be sweet :cool:

just soak the tarnished peice(s) in white vinegar for a couple of hours and it'll be brand spankin new again (don't add salt to the mixture - it may be too abrasive for high-purity copper)

hahaha okay okay, its done, its cleaned, it didnt get rusty, tarnish gives a orangey look, and it makes it look a little worn, thats what i was talking about rusty, i wouldve never used sandpaper on my blocks btw, i used ketchup and it worked great. took a good 3 minutes.

Or you can just paint it as in the case of my Swifty 6002. It sure looks a lot better in my book.

voigts said:
Or you can just paint it as in the case of my Swifty 6002. It sure looks a lot better in my book.
But, you gotta admit that Swiftech block isn't really all that attractive to begin with... I don't think they had aesthetics in mind when they designed it. But, since they've acquired the rights to the G4, I doubt they'll be selling many more of them and on the G4 all you see is acetal and stainless steel.

That's true MVC. But I got mine barely used for only $35 shipped from the classifieds, so a little paint is worth it!

Yeah, there's something to be said for staying within a budget or just getting a good deal on GP, and, with a nice paint scheme.... I saw one somewhere, maybe yours?, that had been painted black with a high gloss engine enamel and then the hold down was painted with red Metalcast. I almost didn't recognize it!

Back