• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA on IC7-G Max II Advance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caincha

I have a IC7-G and just installed one Maxtor SATA 300Gb.
My issue is that my Maxtor SATA is recognized by my IC7-G as one of ATA100....
Why is that?
I does work fine, but I wonder if it were recognized as the SATA it is, would it work faster..?
Well, I don't even know if it is supposed to be recognized as SATA in the BIOS post.. Is it?

Bump :p
Am I condemned to suffer w/ this setup...? :shrug:
No one will at least try to help..?:confused:
Oh well... :rolleyes:

hmm.. are you sure its SATA? Use sandra sisoftware and see if that tells you if its SATA or ATA100. ATA100 would suck though if you had SATA.

I had trouble with ic7-g max 2 just simply finding my harddrive, it took like 6 hours of tweaking and trying different things for it to appear in the bios. Damn, i hate that serillal that came with the box, so much trouble.

Yeah, I think it is a Northwood, why..?
About the HDD... Well it has a SATA connection built in for both data & power so I think it is a SATA HDD....
Is there a chance it isn't?
Will try to find it's code on Maxtor site.
My Sandra does not have the HDD feature... Don't ask why, I don't know.. :p

i think his question is either does it realy hit 3.1 or something like "Is that kinda loud?"

how many apms does that leaf blower pull anyway?

Make sure you loaded the SATA drivers from the disk that came with the mobo.

Also check to make sure you have enabled Onboard SATA RAID in the BIOS.

If you cxan't find all of the options in the BIOS let me know. I used to have a URL to a setup guide for that. I think it was on the Abit Forum.

Go through everything in the BIOS and select every option in there and things will "light up" that you didn't know was there. Just remember what everything is so you can put it back. That's what I do with a new system. I go in there and go through all the menus and sub menus.

On the IC7-G there you have to set it to "bootable add in device", then enable "Onboard SATA RAID", then selct "RAID" in another menu. If you don't set all those options it will auto detect as IDE and run it that way even thosugh it's using the SATA port.

Sleepy_Steve said:
i think his question is either does it realy hit 3.1 or something like "Is that kinda loud?"

how many apms does that leaf blower pull anyway?
3.064ghz to be exact:p w/ 1.6v on mobo BIOS but MBM5 shows 1.57v
Will post CPUz screen shot soon...

3DFlyer said:
Make sure you loaded the SATA drivers from the disk that came with the mobo.

Also check to make sure you have enabled Onboard SATA RAID in the BIOS.

If you cxan't find all of the options in the BIOS let me know. I used to have a URL to a setup guide for that. I think it was on the Abit Forum.

Go through everything in the BIOS and select every option in there and things will "light up" that you didn't know was there. Just remember what everything is so you can put it back. That's what I do with a new system. I go in there and go through all the menus and sub menus.

On the IC7-G there you have to set it to "bootable add in device", then enable "Onboard SATA RAID", then selct "RAID" in another menu. If you don't set all those options it will auto detect as IDE and run it that way even thosugh it's using the SATA port.
I did everything you said, just don't remember about the RAID thing...
I'm not sure, but if I got only 1 SATA HDD will RAID work w/ me..?
And will I have to reformat the whole HDD or only the Windows partition?

EDIT: Almost forgot: Everest shows it as SATA DiamondMax 10 Maxtor 6B300S0

Last edited:
BTW, is that too much for a P4 2.4 HT..?
Is that why you people doubt it..?
Oh well, screenshot:

Clip.jpg

caincha said:
I did everything you said, just don't remember about the RAID thing...
I'm not sure, but if I got only 1 SATA HDD will RAID work w/ me..?
And will I have to reformat the whole HDD or only the Windows partition?

EDIT: Almost forgot: Everest shows it as SATA DiamondMax 10 Maxtor 6B300S0

Ooops sorry. I thouight you were setting up a RAID array.

It's basically the same thing, but instead of setting it RAID you set it SATA.

The SATA drivers from the disk must be loaded on there. Besure you used the right ones. There are two versions on that disk. At least there were on mine. One version would not work, but the other would.

Also, besure you are plugging the drive into the right SATA port for the driver you are using. The best one to use is the Intel ICH5 chip. Use the Intel, it's faster and there are less issues with it.

Lemme go look for that URL. It had a step by step. I will edit and post it in this post when I find it. It's very helpful. There are alot of settings and "in's and out's" in the Phoenic BIOS that the IC7-G uses. If you miss any of those setting the srives won't function properly. It's easy to miss them if you're not used to messing with it. On mine, I've had to rset it so mnay times, i've got it memorized, but I can't tell what's up with yours unless I was there looking at it. That URL will help you. If it doesn't yopu may have some kind of issue. I highly doubt there's anything wrong though. Many have had trouble initially setting them up, but once you do it a couple of times you can do it in a couple minutes.

This a RAID walthrough, but it will guide through all the settings. Just select the settings that match your hardware. it still describes where everything is, and how to set it up. Here is the URL ==> http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13204

Also, if you have a Western Digital Drive, remove the Jumper. Cable selct will sometimes cause problems. I wish they wouldn't even put those dang things in a SATA drive. There is no need for them, and it has caused more people problems than I can count. I always forget about those jumpers too when people have these issues. One poor soul went on for two weeks on another forums before I told him about those dang jumpers. Take 'em out and chuck them in the parts bin.

Last edited:
Back