• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System clock not keeping good time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

My system clock seems to be consistantly off. I set it (sometimes manually, sometimes with the auto setting), and within a day or so it is at least 30 min off. It just keeps getting more and more off. Always too fast.

I have run Kaspersky, AVG, Norton, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spysweeper, Hijackthis... all clean. I don't think it's a big problem really, except that I sync my phone (Moto MPx200 running Windows Mobile 2k3) everyday to keep up all my contacts/email/schedule. And it translates the wrong time to my phone too! Very annoying. What can I do to fix it?

There is a CR120 batter on your mobo that holds that sort of information. As the battery dies it does that. Just change it out and you should be ok:)

Well technically, the battery just supplies power which allows the system to keep time when its off... the time data is stored elsewhere, battery just stores the juice. ;)

Miss me Sent? :)

Assuming you're running XP...normally it results from a conflict with the BIOS over the interval between timer interrupts. This isn't related to the BIOS clock, except that Windows uses that as a start point at boot. Windows maintains the clock by counting these, so if the interval isn't the expected one, the rate will normally be out of sync. Try these steps...

1. Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK
2. Type net stop w32time, and hit ENTER
3. Type w32tm.exe /unregister, and hit ENTER
4. Type w32tm.exe /register, and hit ENTER
5. Type net start w32time, and hit ENTER

(Note the spellings w32tm and w32time in different commands). I would suggest creating a System Restore point first, before running the above commands.

I take it your running XP? Try disabling the windows time service. (control panel->admin tools->services) I've had a problem with windows keeping very poor time, often 5-10 minutes off what I just set it from yesterday. Try that and see if it will hold the time then.

Wow redduc900 you are just full of answers to my questions, thanks! I'll give that a try. Maybe first I'll try Bios24's suggestion first since it's easier.

You should never have to disable the "Windows Time" Service, when re-registering the Service is normally all that's needed when W32Time stops working correctly.

Back