• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raidiator placement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkFathom

Registered
Where to put raidiator

Okay, with the 6800 block in my case, i cant fit my heater core internally. the best spot ive found to mount the raidiator is on the top, in any situation, but heres where i stand, i would have to mount the heatercore on top of the case, and rap the hoses around back, and drill the back of the case so that the hoses would fit, just wondering if anyone has any better suggestions. thanks :bang head the case is a lan li V1000, by the way.
comp1.bmp

Thats how i see it. gotta love paint.

Last edited:
couldn't you just flip the radiator upside down from that drawing and have the tubes come straight into the case? I know black ice series radiators allow for this, but your HC setup may be different

Yeah, I thought about that but it would mean drilling two more 1/2in. holes in the top of the case, rather than just fileing down one of the pci slot section things.

:welcome: To The Forums! Why not just mount the heatercore inside with the fan on top of the case blowing down. Also you'll get better temps if you run your hose from the rad to the cpu to the gpu to the rez.

gah, theres no room for the hose with the rad. inside, theres only like 3/8in. between the fittings and the back of the gpu block. but thanks for the line up idea. i might go with what ahar said and drill the holes though, just for less stress on the pump.

It still wouldn't work even if you spin the heatercore around so the barbs are at the front of the case? It looks like it would work unless you have other stuff that would be in the way.

hmm. havnt tried it with the line the way you suggested it, but with it rad. to res., the hose doesnt bend that tight.

Before you do any more cutting, are you sure it isn't just a tight fit? Here's a pic of the tubing coming off of a BIX III in my V2100 and I'm pretty sure the space above the motherboard is very similar in all the "V" series cases. The radiator is sitting right on top of the 6800GT (basically) and even with 38mm thick fans keeping everything internal was possible. Although, this particular routing was made with my new 7/16" ID 11/16" OD Tygon which has a fantastic bend radius; the old routing wasn't quite this clean but it too fit. Maybe you just need better tubing?

The "V" series cases are beautiful so I would really look for alternatives to mounting a core (with the barbs facing up no less) on the top of one--I really can't see that being all that attractive.

Attachments

• 2005-07-04 - 003s.jpg
    2005-07-04 - 003s.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 144
okay guys, thanks for all the help so far, i think ive got it pretty much all fit, i put the fan on top of the chassi, because i figured if i didnt, id have to make holes for the other mounts that go through the shroud, right? anyway, right now i have two more questions, and i know theyre retarded ones but still, how do i get power to the top fan, and how do i jumpstart the psu to leak test? heres the work in progress right now. IMG_0727.jpg

It wouldn't be rad to rez it would be rez to pump to rad to cpu to gpu to rez.
The extra tubing he would use to do this would negate any tiny performance gain he'd get by changing the order. Route your tubing the easiest way possible...it makes very little difference whether the radiator comes before or after the blocks.

Well it made a difference for me to the tune of 5ºc and the way he has it set up now will use almost as much tubing if not more but you are right to tell him to set it up the easiest way for him. :)

Back