• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone remember MS-DOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Just Curious? :p

I'm just wondering- who remembers MS-DOS?

- What was the first version you used?

- What system did you run it on?

Myself:

MS-DOS 5.0 + Win 3.1
AMD 386DX 40Mhz.
4MB of RAM
120MB HD

MSDOS, huh? Hard to forget. I can't remeber what version it was, but it was when the 286 was considered high end stuff and 16 color EGA mode was extreme(In Norway).

I took a word perfect 5.0 class and it was run on 286XT computers with only two floppies. The first floppy was MS-DOS 5 and wordperfect5. The second disk was for our documents to be saved on. There was no hard drive or CD-ROM drives on those Machines LOL.

Good Ol MSDOS, First used it on an Ibm Pc Jr back in the 80's, Computer had 2mgs of ram and paid 160 bucks to upgrade to 4mgs. :shrug: No such thing as internet, Got on local bbs's with a 300 baud modem and thought I was king of the hill when I got a 1200 baud U.S robotics. Played some crazy old games on the bbs's like "Legend of the red dragon" :)

I'm just wondering- who remembers MS-DOS?
i do,,
- What was the first version you used?
i used 5.0 was my first, hehe
- What system did you run it on?
first system it ranon was a 386dx. with 8 megs of ram... 40mhz with booost

oh geez... my first version of DOS i used was 3.0 i believe... that was on my IBM ps/1 consultant (486). that thing was blazing! hehe. i actually had an apple II as my first computer... talk about old school.... hehe

Last edited:
hmm, i had ms dos i think it ran on an x86 or somethin, i think the version was _.3(1.3 :shrug: ) and it came with window 3.1 lol and that was about 12 years ago

First one I used was 5.0/WIN 3.1 on a 486dx2-66. I still have that comp running DOS 6.22.

I can still remember squirming to try to max out the conventional memory needed to run some of those old DOS games-e.g. 'lastdrive' specified the highest drive letter that DOS would recognize. Default was 'Z'. Each letter backwards from 'Z' up to 'E' would free up (IIRC...) 81 *bytes* of conventional memory.

That's workin' for a living...

I never used it since well I was pretty young. My first os was some old mac thing. Any way I use command prompt every so often on xp. I know its not excaly the same but still has some of the same commands so geuss thats my first dos.

The first version of DOS that I used was 3.2. I think it was MS, but I might have been PC DOS. It ran on a Source One Systems XT clone with an 8088-2 @ 8MHz, 640KB RAM, a 360KB 5.25" fdd, a 20MB MFM hdd, and CGA graphics.
Now I have DOS 6.0 or 6.22, I don't remember which, installed on it and still use it some.

Ahhh MS-Dos,

I had 6.22 on a 486 DX2 66mhz (turbo), 8MB - huge amount of ram at the time and a (who remembers this?) VLB graphics card! Orchid Graphics (Celcius i think) 1024k vid ram, I could run Win 3.11 at 800x600 on a 14" monitor!!!! My dad gave me this 'old' pc back in '95 when he upgraded to a P90, I would have been 14 at the time.

Before that I was a die-hard amiga nut using the A500 since '90 and even before that I was Atari ST (512k Version!). My first computer was a BBC Micro back in the mid-late '80s.

Those were the days!

Last edited:
My first PC had DR (Digital Research) DOS 3.31. It sucked (incompatible crap). I at one point had a working MS-DOS 1.25 disk set... old enough to where it didn't support hard drives. No idea where that is now, wish I still had it.

My first was a 8086XT 4Mhz, with Dos 3.* on a Hercules monitor. Yikes what great graphics it was. :D
Second after that a 80286AT, 10Mhz, with turbo 16Mhz. I was so jealous of my father who had bought a 80386DX 24Mhz turbo hit it upto 32Mhz i think with a VGA monitor, for mearly $4000.
One miss does "old" days. :D

//Christian

I have used every version of PC/MS DOS. Heck I remember CPM on the IBM PC also. DOS 6.22 most stable DOS 4.0 was IBM only, came with TOPVIEW. DOS 2 brought on HARD DRIVE SUPPORT, DOS 3 was MS big leap for compatables. Oh the nights spent running qemm386 trying to get that last 512bytes free to run Wing Commander or some other Origin game, mem hugs of the day.

dont remember the version but first computer I ever used rand windows 3.1 Had the old 5.25" floppy drive and something close to a 120MB hard drive. Favorite game was this learning program called Math Blaster, lol. Thats about all I remember, I'm not that old. ;)

Back