• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting into a private folder[legit]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys, ok rescently my girlfriends hard drive died and she has stuff on it that she needs to recover. Sometimes it boots up (as a secondary drive, not the boot drive) I boot up with another hard drive's windows.

But she made the folder private and when we try and go into it to copy over the files, it says we dont have permission.

Is there anyway to sort of hack into it ? She really needs the files and we cant boot up into windows with that hard drive alone.

thanks, ps2cho

It says i have to login on safe mode...
If i restart hte computer i might not be able to access the hard drive again...
is there anyway round this? Anyway to do this through a normal WinXP Boot ?

I mean, if there is no other option i guess i'll have to take my chances with it...

It says i have to login on safe mode...
I'm assuming your girlfriend is running the Home version of XP, and you need to access the folder's "Security" tab in Safe Mode to change permissions of the folder in question.
Anyway to do this through a normal WinXP Boot ?
Actually there is...go to:

Security Configuration Manager
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/scm/default.asp

Download the x86 (Intel) version of the Security Configuration Manager and save it to your HDD | Run the executable you downloaded, and extract the contents to a temp location on your HDD | Open the folder you extracted the files to and locate the Setup.inf (Setup Information) file | Right click Setup.inf and select "Install" | After the installation is finished, reboot your computer.

Last edited:
had this problem before... i think i had to take ownership of the file on a server which then allowed me to change all of the permissions

Last edited:
Back