• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SilverStone TJ06 and watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freshy98

I did a TJ05 last year which wasn't as satisfactory as I had hoped to be, and so I went searching for another case.

After a while I came across the TJ06 and after some reading and measuring I thought this would be the right case for me.

Over the last week I finally got all the new parts I will be building in the case:
- MSI NEO2 Platinum (no, I won't be doing PCI-E yet)
- AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice (ADA3200DAA4BP, LBBLE 0519FPCW)
- SilverStone TJ06
- Ultra X-Connect 500W
Plus the parts I already have at the moment:
- D-TEK Customs JR120 Heatercore plus shrouds
- YS-Tech 120mm (2x) (specs follow later)
- Cascade waterblock
- Swiftech MCP600 Rev 1 pump
- 1/2" Tygon tube
- ATI X800Pro -> XT PE with AC3 cooler
- Hitachi 7K20 80GB SATA (2x) and IBM 80GB PATA
- NEC 2500 DVD writer

After coming home from the weekend I unpacked my TJ06 and stripped it straight away, resulting in the next photo:

01stripped0nq.jpg

More will come when I get new pictures while building it.

Next up is clearing the fan holes in the case for better airflow.

Last edited:
Aha!
Another watercooled TJ.
Excellent.

Mine, currently undergoing rev.10, has been a wonderful case, and I still think it's the most refined and handsome case I've owned.

While your case is stripped you might consider cutting in a fan for the HDD cage ( assuming you are going to keep it).
There is plenty of room below the PSU on the backplane for a 92mm (I'd be surprised if Silverstone doesn't incorporate this soon) and a 120mm can be squeezed in (albeit just barely).

I'm looking forward to your progress...I'm always on the prowl for ideas to steal.

I have been thinking of that my self, but the PSU has a fan that sucks the air through the two Hitachie drives to the outside of the case. So placing a fan under the drives seems a bit pointless to me atm.

I will make a photo and post it here in 15mins or so.

update:

Ok, here is the picture:
02psuhddcage8dq.jpg

What I thought on later is that placing a fan in the backplane won't do much help as it will only serve one drive?
It doesn't blow through the drives...

Last edited:
Well, after being quite busy last night and therefore getting in way too late... Here are is some further update info and photo's.

First is a photo of the former setup in the TJ05:

03oldsetup3ki.jpg

Next is a picture of how bad the southbridge was covered with thermal paste. Or lack there of really!

04southbridge7go.jpg

The heatercore with shrouds and dual fan's plus the Cascade with a AMD64 mounting plate looks sooo cool :D

05hccascade2mm.jpg

The last photo before I head to bed is that of the final tube layout. Since Tygon 1/2" isn't like 3/8" it took some time and meauring (using tube from the old setup) to get it right.

06tubelayout5ba.jpg

Next thing to do will be to mount the pump on the bottom of the case using screws and a piece of neopreen between it.

Also, the Arctic Cooler 4 is too low so it bumps on the southbridge cooler.
I ordered a Zalman VF700-CU to replace the Arctic Cooler 4.
Furthermore there is a 4pin +12V extension cable coming up because the Ultra X-Connect version is too short, and needs to be extended. I am short by about 10cm doing the most direct route in the case. The one I have coming up is 40cm, but will be trimmed to the right length and get's meshed as well.

Maybe tomorrow evening I will fill the setup with water and some anti algies stuff from a collegue.

Hmm..

Your loop looks odd to me.
I think the t-line should be on your pump's intake port, not the outflow.

If you flipped the pump 180 degrees and backed it up to the radiator you could go:

pump>rad>CPU>t-line>pump.
That would eliminate the awkward bends from the block to the pump.

clocker2 said:
Hmm..

Your loop looks odd to me.
I think the t-line should be on your pump's intake port, not the outflow.

If you flipped the pump 180 degrees and backed it up to the radiator you could go:

pump>rad>CPU>t-line>pump.
That would eliminate the awkward bends from the block to the pump.

I have tried all that, but it would mean even stranger bending of the tubes.
Now, I have the T-line at allmost the highest point.
I agree, it is notthe moest ideal config...

Trust me, I know how difficult it can be to get big tubing to make tight radii.
I feel your pain.

Does your video card clear the t-line?
Oddly enough, it looks like adding a GPU waterblock might make your tube routing easier...it certainly did for me.

I have a ATI X800Pro flashed to XT PE which will be cooled by a Zalman to clearance is no problem.

Using my old D-TEK Customs GPU waterblock has been considered, but since I fiddle around too much getting the videocard out and in with a waterblock on it is too troublesome.

Looking at my last photo I do have to check if the tubing isn't a little bit too high. If you look at the AGP slot and a bit too the left you will see what I mean.
I have to take into consideration that the pump will be put on neopreen as well...

The tubing was a bit too high and would touch the videocard.
I cut it down a bit and fits properly now.

Last photo before I head to bed.
Cables are mostly in and tie-ripped together neatly.
Tomorrow evening I will fill the system (finally!) and see how she holds up.
Mixture will be demi-water, monoehtylglycol and a bit of anti-algie stuff called Bio-Absorber from Venta.

07cablesetc2oy.jpg

Started with filing tonight. Turned out I had didn't turned the screws on the clamps too tight, so it started leaking at the Cascade intake :-(
took the entire watercooling out of the case and dried things up.
It seems ok now, but I will leave to testing on the table for tonight.

Looks good so far.

Just a quick update. Been playing World of Warcraft all day with stock speeds.

Idle temp is 29C while the max temp was 36C. Not bad I'd say :)

Gonna overclock it a bit now, and get back later.

btw, final photo will be posted tomorrow too.

Still no photo, been playing World of Warcraft again :)

The CPU seems stable at 2200MHz using a 166MHz memory divider and HTT at 4x using a 220MHz CPU FSB and 3.3% over CPU VCoreID. Strange thing is that the default setting is at 1.500V while the monitor shows 1.443 or so.
Running the CPU at 2300MHz resulting in Prime95 b0rking after about 5.5 hours, but I started it again this morning.

The weather is getting quite warm here, but the CPU does about 40C max which is quite ok I think. WoW played fine at 2.2GHz :)

Hmm, won't you get more pressure through the block if you pump INTO the block opposed to sucking THROUGH the block?

phaeton said:
Hmm, won't you get more pressure through the block if you pump INTO the block opposed to sucking THROUGH the block?

the pump pushes into the heatercore and then into the block.
the pump pushes up vertically, no horizontal.

2300MHz is stable after running Prime95 in turns of ~22 hours.
Next will to up the speed by 50MHz which probably will crash Prime95 again. If it does, I will up the VCore slightly.

I put the HDD cage in the dumpster. It didn't fit anymore with the heatercore in, so I bought two SilverStone FP-53's for my main two hard drives. the thrid hard drive was placed in de internal 3.5" bay under the floppy drive.

BTW: The setup as made above (TJ06) doesn't exist anymore. The Cascade waterblock is dead. The casing broke around a barb letting water run over my memory modules...

icyicy said:
Where did you put your HD cage in TJ05?

The external 3.5" bay is really a stupid design. I can't mount my old floppy drive and my 3.5" fan controller. Next time, I won't buy any case from SilverStone.

Haha, the external 3.5" bay is ok. The sliders are a bit weird though.
It worked for me, and for a girlfriend of mine who is using the case now.
You should be able to use the 3.5" flopy drive plus fancontroller and a 3.5" HDD under is just fine.

Why did you buy the TJ05 anyway?

icyicy said:
The external 3.5" bay is really a stupid design. I can't mount my old floppy drive and my 3.5" fan controller. Next time, I won't buy any case from SilverStone.

Back