• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Direct Access Links (.lnk files) and incorrect assotiation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
I have a problem with one PC here and asking for some better informed source ;).

The problem is as follows:

1.-In one machine, a user opened a mail in whick a link was attached. As this was .lnk file and had no direct acces via network, Windows asked if the user wanted to associate the file to a progrma so it could be viewed.
2.-The user, thinking that this was the file she was expecting decided to associtae the file to AutoCAD. I suppose that she saw a invalid file warning, so she terminated the request and forgot about it.
3.-Afterwards, when she cleared her workspaced she saw that the direct access icons available in her desktop have changed to an AutoCAD icon. ANd when double clicked they opened an instance of AutoCAd instead of directing her to the corresponding program.

I have tried to change it back, but have been unable to do it. I checked in Control Panel/Folder Options--> Available Files and haven't found any .lnk reference. Also have tried using the Open File With and directing it to the correct program, but that is not the correct procedure, as instead of openeing the program what it does is opening the link as a file in the program (as in opening the link as a word file)

Any help in correcting this?

THKS in advance.

The version of Windows being used should be stated.

If using NT based Windows, type or paste "ASSOC .LNK=lnkfile" at the command line and press an "Enter" key.

Last edited:
THKS for the links,but those don't seem to work as the problem machine has Windows 2000

Ascii2 said:
The version of Windows being used should be stated.

If using NT based Windows, type or paste "ASSOC .LNK=lnkfile" at the command line and press an "Enter" key.

When using this one, I used to command line and the execute prompt to use the ASSOC, but it told me that it couldn't locate the ASSOC.exe file. Is it in an specific folder?

Try this...Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | Type the following at the command prompt...

assoc .lnk ...should return with .lnk=lnkfile. If not, type...

assoc .lnk=lnkfile

Mictlan said:
When using this one, I used to command line and the execute prompt to use the ASSOC, but it told me that it couldn't locate the ASSOC.exe file. Is it in an specific folder?
I made a typo above; "command line" should be "Command Prompt".

I have already tried taht one, but just to verify it I opened a DOS box (with the cmd command in the run application window) and typed "Assoc .lnk" and found that it is associated to lnkfile. THKS for you help, but I haven't been able to reassociate .lnk file to it's correct function. Any other advice?

Back