• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turn you Water Cooled PC Off and On? or always on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RCFlyer

I just installed a Swiftech Water cooling kit on my PC - Wow - huge improvement and I'm a newbie at water cooling.... took 10c off of my idle temps!

One quick question - before water cooling - I put my computer in sleep mode every night and I'm wondering if it's better to run it all the time with the water cooling (pump) or is it alright to keep putting it in sleep mode. I run a live weather station - so the computer has something to do all night - so I don't mind it on......it just that I've heard that pumps don't take kindly to cycling on and off to much....or sometimes have an issue of starting reliably... Thoughts? Thanks!!

RCFLYER

I'll second what SewerBeing said.

IMO, when you use your computer several times daily its much healthier to leave it runnung. When you shut down your computer, the components cool off and change shape, slightly. Same thing happens when you fire it back up, everything warms up and changes shape again. Doing this daily fatigues the components, over time it MAY lead to a shortened lifespan.

But who am I to say...

Thanks everyone - that's the way I was leaning too...... My new setup is on a LGA 775 P3.4ghz and I'm running idle at 33c now and that's with the computer under a desk in a 76-80 degree room.... I'm really happy with the Swiftech kit! I pulled a lot of information from the this board before taking the plunge in the water!!! :) Thanks!

RCFlyer

Same, I'm too lazy to be bothered to turn off my computer. Only times its off is when I REALLY want a quite nites sleep, more than my current "quiet" computer can do. Dang northbridge HSF's can be noisy.... :rolleyes:

I USED to leave my computer on 24/7 but the Mrs has complained about it, so now she makes me shut it off when not in use. She seems to think it's responsible for global warming or something I don't know. In any regard, leave it running.

Back