• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is better? Storm waterblock or extra pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mysterfix

I am gonna be upgrading my watercooling and I want to know what you guys think would be a better upgrade. A new waterblock (swiftech storm) or another pump (mcp350 or mcp655). The pumps will be run in series unless someone convinces me otherwise.

you already have a fairly high restriction block in there so an upgrade to a storm block may well be worth it. Also the Storm G4 is about 1C better than the WhiteWater across the board (play around with this: http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php). However on the other hand depending on your pump which is not in your sig then another pump might help however I do not think it will help as much.

SewerBeing said:
you already have a fairly high restriction block in there so an upgrade to a storm block may well be worth it. Also the Storm G4 is about 1C better than the WhiteWater across the board (play around with this: http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php). However on the other hand depending on your pump which is not in your sig then another pump might help however I do not think it will help as much.
It's in there it's just a little hard to see because of the color it's written in, it's an mcp350 modded for better flow. I just was not sure if the added pressure of 2 pumps would be better to increase overall flow and maybe give me slightly lower temps or if the storm would be the wiser choice.

Just feeding of my SaltWater background here. If you with to add another pump I would suggest againts running them inline. The largest problem being maximum pressure and gph. If you run them inline the pressure and speed has allready been met. Having that run directly into another one will slighly slow the water then incress but not to its full potential. I would recoment a Y config. Y the hose and devide it to the pumps seperatly then have them Y back later. Prob a hose with a larger diamiter would be best. I have also run in to this problem with dual pumps. Heat! Each pump generates heat . If one pump heats the water slightly then the next one inline will heat it more. If you dont have a way to compinsate for this added heat this will become a problem. Anyways im a noob here so dont take my word for fact lol. Take care :santa:

Running two pumps is not really a good choice anyways one big one is more efficient. Also running them in series is better since you need the head to increase the flow because you are pushing 1-2gpm though the system at most which is a fraction of the rating so series > parallel.

Ok so I should go for the storm and ice the pump idea for now. I have till wednesday so I'll plan on getting the new block for sure.

No prob I still have to install my uv 120mm case fans and show off my completely finished rig.

MmCheeto said:
Just feeding of my SaltWater background here. If you with to add another pump I would suggest againts running them inline. The largest problem being maximum pressure and gph. If you run them inline the pressure and speed has allready been met. Having that run directly into another one will slighly slow the water then incress but not to its full potential. I would recoment a Y config. Y the hose and devide it to the pumps seperatly then have them Y back later. Prob a hose with a larger diamiter would be best. I have also run in to this problem with dual pumps. Heat! Each pump generates heat . If one pump heats the water slightly then the next one inline will heat it more. If you dont have a way to compinsate for this added heat this will become a problem. Anyways im a noob here so dont take my word for fact lol. Take care :santa:

Pumps in series gives more pressure
Pumps in parallel gives more flow

Tighter restriction blocks like more pressure
Looser open blocks like more flow, but still like pressure

Pressure usually wins just because of extra restriction in the loop - be it other blocks or just the tubing itself.

That is why I was considering getting another pump because I have a pretty restrictive setup already and I figured the new block might just add to that and negate any benefit. But I am anxious to get rid of this 3 barb waterblock.

The Swiftech Storm block Is what he was refering to.

I would second the idea of getting the new block.

The mcp350 with Flow mod is a top performing pump. The D5 would perform better, however, I don't think it would make nearly the impact the Storm WB would.

I'm hoping my local PC store will have them by tomorrow. If not then it will will be frozencpu since they are so close. Provided they even have any by tomorrow. I've heard that swiftech is very slow to get there products out to retailers.

I ordered mine from frozencpu on the 1st should be shipping out today. I was told from swiftech if you order from a distributor that you would more than likely get it quicker.

Back