• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shut down problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koolm1ke

Registered
i have a pretty ruff problem, when i try to turn my pc off i cant. i go to start menu and select turn off. but pc doesnt turn off, it just restarts like as if i hit restart everytime. it's really annoying because i cant turn my pc off, unless i hit the main swicth on the power supply. wth is going on, hope someone knows. im thinking a registry file got d/l somehow, i dunno. if so how or where can i go to fix this. if nothing else i will just do a freah reinstall. but i sorta hate to have to do that. p.s i tried to run win xp and do a repair install. but a screen came up can asked for an admin password. i have no admin pass for my system. do i need one anyway for things like that. i dont see why i would.

I had a similar problem where it would power off, but instantly back on. I traced it to usb devices and power management. I disabled usb power while off on the mobo jumpers (K7T266Pro2). Could be worth a try maybe? BTW this was a new install.

Did you select Shut Down or Re-start? ;)

What happens if you try shut down/turn off from the Task Manager?

ok

yes i hit turn off. no this was not a new install and i dont think it's an usb problem like one of u mentioned. what happens is, when i try to power down it does it's normal routine as if i was shuting down, pc doesnt turn off at all tho during this process. but no it just restarts like as if i hit restart. but i hit turn off. and about the no password i hit enter and it says, invalid password. i dont remember creating an admin password for windows when i installed it. so i dunno what to do, looks like im gonna have to do a freash install.

blah

just tried shutting down from windows task manger. and it still acts as if i just hit reboot aka restart. wtf is going on? argh pc's can be so freaking annoying.

First go to Control Panel and click System.Click the advanced tab.Click settings under startup and recovery.Untick the automatic restart button.This should avoid the restart when shutting down.
I would run chkdsk c: /v /x /r from the command promt and allow it to complete so you can be sure that there are no bad sectors or corrupt files causing this.
While doing a repair install,you do not go to the recovery console(this is what asks for the password)but hit enter to Install windows.It will then check the disk and finding the previous installation it will ask if you want to repair the installation.Just do not format the install and it will repair it.

Last edited:
ran chkdsk, no bad sectors. did a freah install worked fine once, and that was it. after i tried to restart the 2nd or 3rd time, it acted like was before. it's like i hit restart instead of shut down, but im not.

do you have all updates installed from microsoft?

also did you uncheck the auto matic restart like shadowdr suggested ??

are you overclocking or is everything at default speeds ?

what other Programs do you have installed and what Hardware besides the basics ?

yea i unchecked restart, well now when i try to shut down i get a blue screen and says a bunch of crap about pc has been shut down to prevent damage or some crap, but anyway at the bottom, there is a sys file. it's nv_agp.sys. could this be my problem? i deleted the file, still dont work right. and about all the updates im not sure about the latest. but i did have some. doesnt matter now. cause i reinstalled. yea im oc, but my pc was working fine till the other day. i recently took out a vid card, ati, and put in a nvidia pci card. but i dont see why this would mess my pc up where it wont turn off unless i hit the main power button, makes no sense. anyway to totally wipe hd clean of everything, as if it was new. and take out pci vid, use onboard. install card again and drivers? or take out everything and reinstall sound modem and vid?

Last edited:
well why not trying to update pc fully with all updates first ?? and go through and download all new drivers from each of your hardwares website ... thats what i would do .. i also wouldnt overclock until finished with that.. cause that could be your problem too.. get it running correctly first and then oc it .. just make sure you are running memtest and prime and etc.. for stabilty ..

if you plan on doing a fresh install .. do the long format... and then after your done installing xp run and install all updates from microsoft .. then go and install all updated versions of your drivers ( if they are newer than installed ones) .. afte done .. run your disk defrag and check disk in case ... dont overclock until you are done with all of that..

im betting that it is a driver conflict...

also you can go into Start, Accessories, System Tools, System Information : and check under Hardware Resources, Conflicts/Sharing to check for any red flags ...

Last edited:
i was oc before all my problems. but after unchecking auto restart, in sytem. when i try to shut down i get a blue screen and here is the following info i get, what i should do with it i dont know.

stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF9E4A0AB, 0F9E719B0, 0XF9E716AC)
nv_agp.sys-ADDRESS F9E4ADAB base at F9E4A000, DATESTAMP 3d790301

what does all that mean?

It is the video card or the nv drivers perhaps.I think the nv_agp.sys is an agp video filter.Have you set ;init to display first- PCI, in bios?

ok i could kick my self in da arse

well i finally found my problem. i was such a dumbass, and forgot all about having a mb, that has a onboard nvidia vid card. which i already had those drivers installed for. and when i installed this other nvidia card, and the driver for it, that's was giving me all my trouble. i shoulda realized this way before. so this is for all of u out there that may have this problem. if u have a mb that is onboard nvidia vid. uninstall them, or do not install them. if ur gonna install and nvidia card with the same drivers.

Back