• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need to move a win98 HDD to a different comp. without reinstalling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

can i just slap it on the new computer and boot? i remember there was a procedure in winXP to erase old drivers and have the next reboot look for new hardware. can i do something similar with win98?

Nope. Win98 is already configured on that same mobo you installed it. I dont think its possible to uninstall every driver, and its would be faster and easier to format to reinstall.

it IS possibile. ive done it MANY times. When you put it in the other computer and boot up. once you get into windows, it will find a bunch of new hardware. Once you get those installed, everything works fine:D

EDIT: it might not be legal thou :shrug:

i have done it before, but depending on what your transfering it to, sometimes newer cpu's a and ram can cause driver errors... i would uninstall all m/b drivers first in safe mode and put it in the new system, it should detect new stuff, if it doesnt it basically might have just screwed the pooch..

with the hard drive still in the old PC, open regedit, and locate the ENUM key, it should be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. delete the whole key. make sure before you do this, that you have all the drivers you'll need on the hard drive already. Then, you can just do your hardware swap and you should be good to go.

Back