• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows automatically shuting down, hdd problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p3wt

I finished my computer and popped in the XP CD, apparentley it couldnt be read. So I took a drive out of this old computer that had XP on it and put it in as master. I booted up and got this screen-

What is says is "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have gotten this message, please restart your computer.

Check your computer for viruses, newly installed hard drives, and I forget the rest."

Thats pretty much what it says, then at the bottom it says "Technical Information" Then it has some long line of "0", "x", and a few other numbers.

I see you're switching that drive between two different computers, with likely two different chipsets.

Such is known to produce bootup-BSOD's

Taking a drive out of a different computer won't work unless you delete the IDE controllers. Windows is shutting down because its seeing different hardware.
You need to reinstall or do a repair.

p3wt said:
At the bottom it says "Technical Information" Then it has some long line of "0", "x", and a few other numbers.
Both Sjaak and Rbreb13 gave you excellent advice, but I just wanted to mention one thing re: the BSOD error message. The "Technical Information" (or Stop: Error at the bottom of the BSOD) is very important, as the "Stop Hex Code" can be looked up on the MSKB. Near the top of the BSOD you'll usually see a Stop Error, something along the lines of PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (0x0000004E) or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (0x00000050)...so if you didn't write down the Hex Code (the first part of the Code, as I've shown in parenthesis), at least write down the Stop Error. The Stop Error translates to a Hex Code and vice versa...so writing down both isn't absolutely necessary.

So, I should take out the hdd from the other computer, then do a fresh install of windows?

Back