• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bittorrent and how it accesses the internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BitTorrent is a P2P application but it is diffrent from Kazaa. It really depends on how your college is setup and how it blocks certain programs. The best thing to find out if it works is to try it at your particular college. I can tell you in my instance that at my college Kazaa is blocked but BitTorrent works fine.

AFAIK, college's block ports associated with common P2P programs as a preventative measure, then monitor connections for individual instances.
With Bt, it is easy to manipulate and even automate port switching to hide it, but with the swarming characteristics, it is really easy to catch on the network.
Even if it works for you, it doesn't mean that you are invisible. Make *extra* sure that you have legal right to everything that passes to and from your pc.

Back