• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-Formatting XP w/ new CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mad Butter

Hey Guys. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my current rig. My question was "Is it possible to get away without formatting XP when I install my new CPU." I'm going from an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ to a 3200+. Will Windows get all weird on me if I do this? If you didn't notice, I'm one of those people that absolutely avoid formatting at all costs. I hate trying to get things back to normal. Any responses would be greatly appreicated.

P.S. I'm not an idiot. I know if you install something major like a MB, you have to format but does this apply the same rule with a processor. Any responses would be great!

-gatcho

Thanks!

Thank You guys a bunch for the quick responses. I'll have to give it a try and see what happens. I remember before when i was building a comp, I had to because Windows was being all weird but sometimes you dont. I'm hoping I dont. It's in the same class (AMD Athlon XP), just a higher clock speed. So I shouldn't have a problem but we'll see. Thank You again.

-gatcho

If you do need ot format, try doing a repair install first that might be enough so you dont have to reinstall everything.

Back