• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cathar (et. all): (Swiftech) Storm G4 for "Nocona" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Hey.

Swiftech lists that their Storm G4 does not ship with mounting for an 800fsb "Nocona" motherboard.

Does the storm not fit an NCCH-DL? Is there no way to get it to fit? Or are they just not shipping a special bracket with their product? I would like to pop on up to an NCCH-DL from my PC-DL - but I also plan to watercool with dual Storms. Are these two plans mutually exlusive?

Thanks to anyone who can help.. I figure Cathar will know the best, but anyone who has any information is welcome to throw in all the 2 cents they have ;-]

I already sent an email to Swiftech, but I want to see what people here say too :-]

Bueller? Bueller?

Oh.. also: Would you guys suggest the Storms for a dual processing system? As they are very high restriction, and as there would be two of em, would this be a bad combination?

At lower flow rates, swiftech says that the MCW6002 is better than the storm.. do you think (with a normal pump like the MCP655 or D5 or something) that two storms would reduce the flow too much to be effective?

I would suggest emailing Swiftech and asking. As far I'm aware a mounting system specifically for the Nocona class CPU's is in development. I do know that with the older Storm blocks I provided that people were able to just work around the issue by slightly changing something with the stock 4-post mounting kit that was provided, but I was not aware of the specific details. It couldn't have been too hard to do as at least 4 people bought pairs of the G4 blocks for just that purpose and successfully installed them.

Swiftech are a little more exacting though about being true to the mounting style/specs from Intel and so they state that they don't officially support Nocona class mounting just yet until they get something worked out, which I think that they may have, but you'll need to contact them directly 'cos I haven't heard anything confirming that specifically.

In the end it's your choice. You can wait for official and correct to the letter Nocona support, or you can just get the regular mounting posts and do the simple mod (whatever that was), but then the onus is purely on you if something goes amiss.

Awesome.. thanks for the response. I did email swiftech.. they just haven't responded yet. I assume that its something they would be working on, and would just want it to be perfect...

The "Nocona" class mounting points are a hair further apart, I believe, and have slightly larger holes. Not a huge difference, but enough.

Back