• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Stacker, Need help with WC Setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wffsoccer

Registered
Ive new to the WC scene and I've been browsing the site for about 10 hrs. :(
Anyway, what I want to do is have a basic watercooling setup for know, which would only include the CPU and I will add the rest later. I have decided that I will be using the Swiftech Storm CPU block and that I would like ALL of the other accessories to mount in the 5.25 bays. The thing that is confusing the crap out of me is the radiator, I have no idea what to get, and I dont want it to take up 6 or 7 bays like other people have been doing. Any help on what to get would be greatly appreciated, and please keep in mind that I want my pump/res to all mount in the 5.25 bay.

Thanks

I'm not sure what to tell you about the Rad, other then you could cut some holes out of the top of your case and lay it across them, that way it'd only take up 1 or 2 bays if on the inside, or you could mount it outside and it would take up none.

If you're really set on sticking stuff in a 5 1/4" drive bay, there's this .
It holds a reservoir and the MCP350 pump in a single 5 1/4" drive bay. Or, you could get a slightly larger pump and use a T-line instead of a res, saving more space.

The stacker is a damn big case so fitting a larger rad shouldnt be a problem at the top of the case, but since you said youre only going to be doing a basic WC setup, a single 120mm BIX or Chevette Heater core will be suffice. I've seen custom mounts that hold the rad at an angle on the floor of the case so it's not in the way of anything.(Fushyuguru did this in his thread which is a sticky in the modding section) So that's one way of going about it. But you also said that you want to add the rest later...so a 2x 120mm would be best, which people use a BIXII, Thermochil 120.2, or Caprice heater core. You could cut holes on the top of your case which would most likely be best for any setup. Hope this helps.

Your not going to be able to realisticly use the drive bays without taking up a bunch of them. You could use a single 120mm heatercore but if you decide to add another block later the single rad won't be enough to cool your whole system. You could however get away with mounting one rad inside and one rad on the back of the case. That would save you 3 or 4 bays from being takin up.

mysterfix said:
Your not going to be able to realisticly use the drive bays without taking up a bunch of them. You could use a single 120mm heatercore but if you decide to add another block later the single rad won't be enough to cool your whole system. You could however get away with mounting one rad inside and one rad on the back of the case. That would save you 3 or 4 bays from being takin up.

Personally I dislike using two radiators instead of one because it is more restrictive. He could simply mount this rad along the top of the case or the bottom or in the worst case outside it.

Yes, you do have a good point. I figured since he is fairly new he might not want to go and start cutting on his case. But with that said the most efficient way would be what sewerbeing suggested, mount it on the top or the bottom.

Top of the case will be your best bet, but if you arent going to be overclocking all that much, then a Chevette core will be ideal for you IMO as it will still offer great cooling for the price. It will still be up to par even after you add the GPU blocks and whatnot.

Cerberus2k7 said:
Top of the case will be your best bet, but if you arent going to be overclocking all that much, then a Chevette core will be ideal for you IMO as it will still offer great cooling for the price. It will still be up to par even after you add the GPU blocks and whatnot.

i would say bottom is best. there's so much space down there. if you want to mount a 2x120 rad in the top then you have to put the psu down the bottom. you can have a peek at my stacker project in my sig for a idea.

if you search in the cooling forum the stacker is pretty well covered on where the choise place for a heatercore is, the lower front area of the case.

in my antec soho case this is also the same place i put my heater core. it seems to be the best spot for the heater core for room and cutting and also airflow. so i would vote for the lower front.

also ive seen in or around the lateness of july CM is coming out with a new stacker, it'll only have 1 PSU spot, BUT! it'll have 2 120mm YES TWO 120MM FANS FOR THE REAR EXHAUST, so that would be a pretty good area to put the heater core and still not lose any of the drive bays.

Ok, Ive decided to go with the bonneville heatercore on the bottom of the case, would it be possible to use that lower powersupply area for any of this? I am also confused as to what a "t-line" is, if you have one, do you still need a resivoir?

Thanks

and if i use the bonnevilee heatercore, where do i get a shroud for it?
thx

Ok, I went and picked up the heatercore from autozone, but there is no way I myself am going to be able to make a shroud for it, does anyone sell them?
thx

ok, does anyone know if they make a bay res, that allows you to look into it from the front panels, (im going for pimpness on that one)

The MCP650 is considered by some to be rather noisy. It emmits a highpitch wine constantly. Personally, I'd go with a MCP655, which is better than the 650 and is, from the reviews I've seen, quieter.

Back