• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using Windows64 yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
As the question states, anyone using the 64-bit Windows, and if so, what are your impressions? When do you think it will be ready to go live with the main stream? How do your programs work on 64? Games?

I have a copy of 64 but I'm not sure when I want to take the plunge.

I think you can still get the Beta version for a free download. That is what I might load to see how things go.

I admit I'm a bit biased but yes, I'm using it. I had a few issues getting RAID drivers to work correctly (the ones on Asus' website, despite saying they were for x64, didn't work -- I ended up getting them at PlanetAmd64).

My hardware is pretty standard -- Nvidia card, Audigy card, etc., so haven't had any real qwirks. What I did do, though, is partitioned the drives to do a multiboot between WinXP, XP Pro x64, etc. That way, you can play around, benchmark, etc., and migrate at your own speed.

I haven't had any real problems with games yet, though I haven't done much benchmarking. From what I've read on the net, there isn't much benefit in most games so I haven't really tried stressing it.

Brian

I've just installed it on:

DFI SLI-DR
Venice 3500+
X800XL
Corsair VS PC3200
Raptor 74gb

and had quite a few crashes while installing drivers.

while trying to install ATI drivers (64 bit), the computer rebooted and now it won't start up again - VGA mode and Safe mode didn't help :(

I might try installing it again another day when I have more time, but for now I'll go back to regular XP SP2

on all the benches ive seen so far (running 32 bit apps/games ,etc)

win64 seems to be at most equal to or a shade under in performance as compared to regular 32 bit winxp

i would say hold off for
#1 more driver support
#2 64 bit apps

Hi. I am using win 64. I like it so far. Divers have been a some problem but I like it better than the 32 XP. It is more stable being based on 2003 server.

Back