• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this..... bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SavageBasher

Swiftech11.jpg

Seems it has gotten a bit tarnished, will this hinder performance at all?

And heres a pic of the bottom.

Swiftech21.jpg

I'd clean it out with something like tarnex or vinegar, and if you are worried about the bottom, just lap it.

yes it is bad. When that happens it will perform badly but not really badly. what you need to do is clean it off with either silver cleaner or ketchup. and try to re-lap the bottom if you can. start with the 400 to 600 to 800 to 1000 to 1200. here are few links to start you off with
Easy PC Kits <-- Lapping kit
Frontpage Article
samething happened to my polar blocks i cleaned them off with ketchup and re-lapped em to mirror finish.
-J

SavageBasher said:
Well, after some cleaning....

Swiftech31.jpg

Swiftech41.jpg

Ketchup? Don't you guys have any bon-ami or copper cleaner? :shrug:

DON'T use ketchup on that block you'll never get it completely out and who wants rotting ketchup in their waterblock. soak it in vinegar for 30 mins then thoroughly rinse it. it looks very silvery to me in the pics after you cleaned it though :shrug:

Well alot fo the problem with a large amount of copper cleaners or polish actually have abrasive in it. Using such products with the block would have the samel effect if not worse than attempting to reLap it. I would stick with SewerBeing's suggestion. Also I think the eason katchup was suggested is cause of the acidity and few other elements in it though I wouldnt have a clue from any experience if that would work.

blt111 said:
DON'T use ketchup on that block you'll never get it completely out and who wants rotting ketchup in their waterblock. soak it in vinegar for 30 mins then thoroughly rinse it. it looks very silvery to me in the pics after you cleaned it though :shrug:

I think it was refering to using it on the outside of the block :cool: .

if you REALLY want to clean it...stick it in a cup of Coke-a-cola for a few hours.

That stuff's acidity level is HIGH!, you can use coke to clean an engine block...why not a water block? heh.

honestly, i wouldn't try this though. It could stain it, or leave a sugary resedue on/in it.

Yeah, just use vinegar. When low on cash, vinegar is always cheap, and is uaually in ever house.

blt111 said:
the inside is the important part to clean ;)

Actually cleaning both is equally important. To help make my point we are going to take a little journey called "the journey of heat from the cpu to the water in your loop". The processor generates the heat which then flows equally in all directions initially. Then the heat hits the TIM (thermal interface material), the bottom of the block then the water. This heat has places to go so most of it goes there. So if you have Cu20 or Cu0 (copper oxide aka rust) on the bottom of the block you have a layer of material that does not transfer heat as well then less heat goes to the water. If however you move that layer to the inside of the block you have the same effect. So cleaning both parts is equally important. However do not use polishers or waxes since they tend to leave a residue behind and hence ruins the nice chain of heat transfer. So vinegar is best and you need to flush it out with plenty of distilled water.

Thank you David for reassuring me on my chemistry knowledge.

Last edited:
Sence im very new to this im going to ask

1. How does a CPU block or any copper block get in to that condition?

2. Is there anyway to prevent that kind of reaction to whatever did it?

:cool:

1) exposure to air and time since copper oxide is CuO or Cu2O it needs oxygen and time

2) not much if you treat it with care than you can prevent most of that damage. Such as do not allow the underside to be exposed to air or water and be careful with what you flush through your loop.

SavageBasher said:
Thats what you get when you try to use Mother's polish on rough finished copper without sanding it. :p
I don't know what polish you used, but most of them put a "protective" coating on the metal to prevent tarnish, so now's a good time to go soak the block in vinegar for at least 30 minutes to remove whatever protective coating the polish put on. All that coating does is hinder heat transfer. And, submerging it in vinegar will also clean the inside. After it soaks, just rinse it off with tap water. If it isn't nice and clean, just repeat the process until it is--sometimes it takes a while.

SewerBeing said:
BioTuned: please read my post these blocks are lapped to perfection already any other lapping will only make it worse. It is not worth it even with those minor off center scratches (which do not affect performance).

yea when i was reading the post i didn't see that post there...i guess we all must have responded to the vote at or around the same time. my apologies i didn't know that re-lapping would cause it to be not straight again. i said what i said by the the experience i had and yes i did re-lap it and it was just fine

Back