• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radiator thread sizes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iggy2k

Registered
hi, im currently looking at a couple of different rads, one of which has a 1/4" NPT inserts, the other has 3/8" BSPT inserts.

im just wondering which is actually the largest diameter?

thanks

The 3/8" BSP is a nominal 0.656 inches in diameter and 1/4" NPT is a nominal 0.540 inches in diameter so the 3/8" BSP is larger. But, if (as I suspect) the 3/8" BSP fittings you're refering to are on a Thermochill and you're buying it in the US it's been retapped by Danger Den (the US distributor) to 3/8" NPT which is a nominal 0.675 inches in diameter.

BTW, :welcome: :welcome:

I'm still trying to get confirmation of that retapping from DangerDen, as we haven't been consulted on that one...

As far as we're concerned, all ThermoChill rads are 3/8" BSP.

[O-CuK]Marci said:
I'm still trying to get confirmation of that retapping from DangerDen, as we haven't been consulted on that one...

As far as we're concerned, all ThermoChill rads are 3/8" BSP.
Well.... the 120.3 I bought from Danger Den last month has been retapped to 3/8 NPT. Danger Den told me that they retapped them, and 3/8 NPT fittings I bought from McMaster-Carr fit perfectly so I figure they're telling the truth. I don't know what else to say....

BTW, did you ever get a price on shipping me couple 40mm shrouds and gaskets? I didn't want to pester since you're probably busy with Steve on holiday, but.... :)

Shipping quotes can only be done by specific folks, and I ain't one of them sadly... will poke em to sort it soon as they return.

Have q'd DangerDen on the retapping - all I want is for them to say "yes, we're retapping to NPT" rather than us having to hear down the grapevine as we have had some customers who specifically want BSP versions in the US for some reason and have e-mailed us directly as they don't wish to purchase retapped vers from DD. Until we have official word from DD that they're retapping we're out of the equation... when I asked them in an e-mail, that particular question never got answered *shrug*. Am not saying they're doing anything wrong, it'd just be nice to be informed of it... also explains why a US rad that's been returned to me for respraying leaks with my usual testrig fittings...

Cheers fella... and on that note, DangerDen have got the shrouds on order with us, which should be heading off in their direction on Monday I think, so worse case scenarios on the shrouds is they'll be on DD or VoyeurMods or Jab-Tech within 2 weeks tops...

cheers guys, thanks for the help.

ps, mvc, look at my join date :p i just dont post much :D

Back