• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Hate COSTCO/Price Club (whatever they are this week)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hainer36

I went to costco near me...which is really 3 or 4 miles away, and saw that they have a coupon (next week) for $400 off a 60" Phillips wide-screen hdtv projection tv, regular price of $1899 but with the coupon only $1499 (canadian prices, dont say i payed too much) so anyways my dad goes in and pays for the 60" while me and a friend with a truck wait out front, my dad comes out and says go to loading door 6 and pick it up there, they say they have one in the back, so we pull around, and sure enough they have a big screen tv, they load it into the truck and away we go, when we get home, with take it outa the box, just as we are about to lift it onto the pourch to get it into the house, we say "Tha doesnt look like 60", get the tape measure" sure enough its only 51", we look at the box, and find 51" on the tiniest sticker, now my dad goes in, calls Price Club/Costco (whatever there name is now) and they say "sorry but you should have looked at the box, we will accept it back since you say you did pay for a 60" as long as you have the reciept, and you have to bring it back, as we cannot pick it up" we ask if we can get some sort of a discount (i say ask for an iPod, being the smartass that i am :D ) the guy says no, we cant do that, it wasnt our fault,

WHAT? IT WASNT YOUR FAULT! YOU GAVE US THE WRONG DAM TV IN THE FIRST PLACE!

we are gonna take it back tomorrow as they are closed now, and ill let ya guys no what happens, but i surely have now lost my appitite for price club now....this is the only problem i've ever had with them, but every other store around would give you some kind of a discount on it or the next purchase because of the customers wasted time, but...then again price club is basically saying " No, cant do that, go **** yourself"

So they screw up, and you expect an Ipod.

Well, in that case I want to wake up rich tommorrow.

im not saying i get and iPod, that was a joke, it would be nice, but i know it wont happen, but at least some type of a discount for my waste of time and gas

you wouldn't get much of a discount if anything. they are right though, you should have checked the box to make sure.

hainer36 said:
im not saying i get and iPod, that was a joke, it would be nice, but i know it wont happen, but at least some type of a discount for my waste of time and gas

A discount is one thing, asking for a free product is another.

If you complain enough, you could have had them pick up the wrong TV and bring over the right one.

Atelast that is what I would have tried to do.

id have to agree with them, its your fault for not checking in the 1st place (im not they they didnt screw up) but you cant be mad that both of yall didn't check. Heck newegg who have great service dont pay the shipping when you have a DOA product, so i dont expect anyone to.

think about this, the sticker that says the model is less than 1/2 of an inch big, and we called to check if there was one still available and they said "we have 2 on the floor and one in the back ready to be picked up" so when the guys broguht it out on the skid with the to-motor, we assumed that it was the right one, we even showed the reciept to the MANAGER! and he didnt say oh thats the wrong one, and the way the put it on, we couldnt see the sticker, they were on the one side us on the other pushing it onto the truck, and believe me we complain, we called the head office even and said the story, they said, we dont have trucks to pick it up so you have to bring it back and get the right one...

I work for costco, and I can tell you this.

first off, costco works on a 8% mark up MAX, most of the bigger items, don't even come near that kinda mark up, especially in the costcos in big cities down south.
costco, barely makes money on any item, so they depend on selling huge quantities to make a profit, giving away stuff or even discounts are rare, and uncommon.

to get coupons at costco, usually means your a executive member meaning your membership costed $100 for the year, and your eligible for the 2% cash back at the end of the year... which most people don't go for that particular membership, opting for the cheaper one.
so getting a coupon alone is rather rare.
getting discounts, doesnt happen, for anyone.
not even if you work there.
the profit margin is too low, to give anything away.

next, if you seen how crazy a warehouse is between 2 am to 10 am when we open, you would be amazed that they get half the orders or inventory right.

we, in juneau, have the smallest werehouse of all costcos, in america, ours is only 80,000 feet, most are 120,000 or 160,000 feet.
they also usually have 3 times more employees then we do.
but with how insane our were house gets, I can only imagine how crazy busy the ones down south get, being twice as big as ours.

theres many factors that can go into mixing up an order like yours.

1, new employee, doing the wrong bin tag for inventory of the item.

2, human error... a fork lift driver moves a few dozen pallets an hour and spends an average of 45 seconds on each pallet moving it from one place to another.
yours could have been the 200th pallet he saw that day, and was simply rushed.

3, front end people, don't often convey the right information to shipping in back. sometimes all you get is an item number, and are told to get it down out of the steel in 2 minutes and then get to the other pallets...
it could have been the person that helped you, writing down the wrong number.
every inventory item has 3 to 6 numbers, sometimes similar items have similar numbers. like 512221, could easily be mixed as 511221.
with how crazy slammed the front end can get from hours of work, and dealing with 30-40 people per hour, its easy to make a little mistake once in awhile.

with how much happens in a average costco in a single day, its amazing that 98% of it comes off at the end of the day, as well as it does.
but like every thing on this planet, theres a certain amount of human error that cannot be avoided.
you came across that problem.
sorry.

asking for the Ipod... even as joke, at costco, isn't gonna happen.
doesn't matter how much you feel like you wasted your time.
honestly, you can chose to leave and never come back.
but as you said before... you never had a problem there in the past...

First of all, it doesn't matter how busy costco is, or how low their profit margin is, they still should be getting their orders right. Yes, I understand this is a very rare incident, but the guy at customer service should have at least apologized for the mistake. Secondly, dfi, it's "you're" as in "you are" not "your" and I'm sure there are some members here who don't appreciate you correlating being a 'jew' to being a free loader. And lastly, if hainer36 really isn't going to shop at Costco anymore, I believe they have a policy where they'll refund your membership if you don't care to shop there anymore.

Joke or not we will not tolerate anti Semitic remarks here. Thread cleaned up and the person that made the remarks was sent to sit in the corner for 3 days.

If they didn't make an apology i would be suprised. Appologize for anything seems to be retail's first step in problem resolution. The appology would be the only thing I would expect and would actually demand.
As far as compensation well....this is the state of mind of western society today. If even the smallest thing goes wrong they want to be compensated. An honest mistake is simply that. If you are going to shop somewhere because of one mistake then you won't be shopping anywhere because all retail outlets, both mortar and online, make mistakes. Just FYI I read that a lady is currently suing NASA for shooting a missle at a comet because it threw off her astrological reading. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
uhh, how did all my posts get deleted? i didnt do anything wrong

but yes, its all just an honest mistake, it happens at sam's it happens at costco, big deal. but at least it got fixed

My Father works for costco as well, (he's the head meat buyer for Costco International)

The good thing about Costco is you can bring anything back, with a receipt, and they will give you a FULL refund no questions asked, and if you're so unhappy, take your membership back, and they will give you every dime you paid for it.

Fact is, screwups happen, I've done it myself, cut down the wrong tree for someone.

Just realize that human error occurs..

same at sams, it cracks me up when people come up to me and say, oh, costco would do it, well, let me call costco, boom they are gone. i wonder where they went? :D

ya i got the 60" tv (they delivered) so everything is good....too bad it wont fit down my stairs, so after all this, its gotta go back...:( ah well, DLP here i come

half the stuff at that place is more expensive then at your corner store. they sell this stuff in bulk, and the costumer, expecting a discount for buyting ten million rolls of toilet paper buys this when in reality the individual cost for 8 rolls at a grocery store is cheaper. other then that accept it for what it is, a gaint wallmart. It has the same crappy service, products, looks, prices and comment deleted by moderator with no sense of humor -eobard as wallmart multiplied by ten.

Last edited by a moderator:
goog` said:
It has the same crappy service, products, looks, prices and ******** as wallmart multiplied by ten.

You know, Sam already gave a 3 day vacation, for racial slurs. Are you trying for another one?

steve

costco has good rotissary chicken yum..........

i think its costcos fault not yours...but asking for a free ipod is going to far

Back