• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VCore in BIOS is DIFFERENT from VCore in CPUZ & SpeedFan?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostdiamond

Registered
Hello people, I am newbie @ OC, help / ideas of all kind is appreciated! :)

#1 I manually adjusted the VCore in BIOS to 1.375V, which is the lowest value I can set to. But CPUZ & SpeedFan both read VCore as 1.44V in Windows? Any idea why, and which one is likely to be accurate?

#2 What is the default AND max VCore of a E0 Stepping CeleronD 320?

Okay, first q I have is what does the voltage read in the bios? You told us what you set it to, but I'd like to know what the monitor in the Bios says. If it is 1.44 as well, there's a good chance that is what it is.

Also, do me a favour, give your CPU a full load and let me know what the voltage is at that point.

On my p5ad2-e, I set my CPU to 1.475 volts, and it idles at 1.53 and then goes to 1.47 on load. In essense, it seems the board overvolts at idle, but droops to the proper setting under load.

#1 The official VCore spec from Intel for CeleronD 320 is 1.287V-1.4V, so I guess it's fine, when I manually set it to 1.375V in the BIOS (the lowest value set-able).

#2 I will run Prime for a few hours and update the result, thanks for the attention man!

#3 I am planning on using Arctic Silver to reduce the temp, along with my to-be-bought COOLMASTER items, including a Praetorian 732 case and a Jet fan for the CPU. Any advise / cautions you can think of?

Trying to put a screenshot here, it's a direct link from Image Shack, hope this works. If you can see it, let me know what you think eh.

So, under load, the Voltage drops to more in line with what you set it at?

Also, you never told us what your voltage was in the bios. Not what you set it as, but what the bios hardware monitor (when you are in the bios) says.

#1 That's right, as you can see, in MAX LOAD, VCore actually drops to 1.34V, which is close to what I set---1.375V.

#2 the BIOS reading varies from 1.375V - 1.5V, without any OCing.

The sensors are not always 100% accurate, and as you can see it varies with the load. As long as temps dont go over 50C by too much you should be fine.

I noticed you plan to apply Arctic Silver as a thermal interface material. One thing to note is to not put it on too thickly. You only need a small, very very thin layer. AS is not meant to go between heatsink and CPU, rather it is meant to fill the gaps in each and ensure as close a contact as possible :).

:welcome: to the forums, btw :)

Thanks Dave! It's good to be here, god this is a source of knowledge!

As for AS5, yeah I heard you only need a tiny amount, so little, that you should only see a semi-transparent gray membrane-type of thing on the back of the CPU. Is this description correct? I've seen pictures of other thermal compound being applied, and it appears that people put the compound down as if it's butter on bread eh?

Rex_foxhound said:
i'm not an expert but i have always thought thatcpu-z and speedfan always read a little too high on the v-core than what it was actually set at. :shrug:

Hey man, I noticed your video appears to be OCed to the extreme. by 584 / 1.25, are you saying 584Mhz for the core and 1.25G for memory? And it's a 6600GT?! Holy smokes!

Back