• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aquarium Pump OK to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PlaSma88

Im new here first post, and I have a couple questions..

Im water cooling my comp, I have everything but the water pump. I really am on a budget so I cannot afford the $50 pumps i've read about. I was thinking something decent around $20-30 tops. Something I can pick up at a petco or aquarium store. What kind of specs should I look for in a pump? gph? anything else?

Im using a small radiator from a car so im going to be making an like an external case for the watercooling components. its going to be made out of plexi glass to match my real case and I was wondering if you guys have any ideas how I can put it together? gluing or using screws.. has anyone does this before?

thanks for all the help

Thanks for the quick reply, I was wondering if you guys have a link? I couldnt find one that was around $30 all the ones I found were over $50+

Woul this be compatable w/ 3/8 tubbing?

it says outside diameter 3/8: inside diameter 1/4 (tubbing)

this is the size for my water block so im guessing i should use the same size tubbing all around?

thanks for help

I have many aquarium pumps from 900 gph to 2400 gph all are Daner Mag. One thing I will suggest. DO NOT take apart the pump for any reason unless you have to. Thiese pumps are put together with a magnetic drive and a ceramic shaft ( I really wish they would use something else on that) if your not carfull you can bust the shaft and the replacement impeller isnt cheep. I have busted many of them even knowing what was gonna happen they are just hard to work on.

That sead. SewerBeing has recomended the Danner Mag3 for good reason. Best bang for buck. The little guys pump good and are resonably quiet. I think you would be happy with it :) Good luck

Aren't aquarium pumps made for air, not water? Maybe you are talking about other ones, but the ones I am familiar with will not work with water.

aeiou said:
Aren't aquarium pumps made for air, not water? Maybe you are talking about other ones, but the ones I am familiar with will not work with water.

there are pumps for aquariums that pump water mainly to filters and add circulation. They are common in larger aquariums. However I've seen em on smaller ones also just not as powerful.

So the more water flow the better?

I think i read or heard somewhere that alot of water flow isnt so great because it doesnt give the water enough time to cool.. is this false?

I was also wondering if any of you guys konw about the Danner Mag 1's and 2 how are they?

you're thinkin of the pumps that provide air to all of the air stones and ornaments and stuff... these are indeed water pumps, and isnt the aquarium scene where water cooling originally got it's pumps from, before they were made more geared toward us?

PlaSma88 said:

I think i read or heard somewhere that alot of water flow isnt so great because it doesnt give the water enough time to cool.. is this false?

I was also wondering if any of you guys konw about the Danner Mag 1's and 2 how are they?

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1088/ <- that should answer your flow question.

Yes theoretically the more flow the better as long as you don't dump more heat into the loop. However stronger pumps = more heat = diminished returns = not that good overal. So there is a limit as to how strong is best before the returns diminish. Also the Mag 1 and 2's are not powerful enough for the average watercooling loop they do not have enough pressure or flow to be worthwhile in said loop. So the Mag 3 is the best bang for the buck pump right now. Last but not least WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

PlaSma88 said:

Eh, your right for the wrong reasons.

More water flow is always better, the water will cool better at faster speeds(even though this is miniscule).

A bigger pump would put more heat into the loop and you will not see benefits. Actualy, the mag3 is already at a point where the heat going into the loop is a problem...

Anyways, consider a ehiem compact, I have one and love it. It does take some modding though. Both are cheap and will serve your purpose if I read your goals correctly.

-aDaM^ said:
I'd say just wait and get what u really want.

I'll second that. But my Mag 3 is serving me well, decent flow through 3 blocks. It does get a little warm, but not a lot. I got mine used for $25 shipped, it had metal fitting installed (1/2", and I use 7/16" tubing) and the entire thing was layered in silicone. I scraped off all the silicone and found the screws were loose. So I took the cover off and the posts the screws go into were cracked, and one was missing. So I cleaned everything really well with a wire brush, cut a tube from a pen, taped it where the missing post was, and filled it full of JB weld. I also filed the cracked posts. When they were dry I tapped new holes and put a very thin bead of RTV around the rubber seal, then assembled. It now looks good, does not leak at all, and serves my need perfectly. Being AC I had to install an outlet in the back of the case and wire in a switch.

Mag 3 it is. Im going to try to pick one up today.

Thanks for all the help guys, this is a cool forum knowing people are actually willing to help.
If I have questions along the way I wont be shy to post.

Back