• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you cool the liquid in your system poll (July-Dec 05)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

how do you cool the coolant fluid in your main system?

• With an open loop. (please give details)

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • With a closed loop. (again please give details)

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eobard

Give me a break Senior
This poll is one of a series of polls designed to give members the opportunity to see what the membership as a whole have chosen in regards to some of the more common cooling choices. This particular poll is for members to show what their chosen method for cooling their coolant fluid is, be it an open loop with an evaporation tower setup or a closed loop with a radiator. It will also give anyone who feels the need, the opportunity to explain why they have chosen their method and possibly help others decide on what their next layout will be. This poll, along with the others will be stuck in the appropriate section and will be open for six months, after which a new poll will be set in place to allow future members to show their choices, current members to list any changes in their choices, and to allow members to track shifts in trends over an extended period.

Having said that, how do you cool the coolant fluid in your main system, with an open loop like an evaporator tower or in a closed loop like with a radiator? Please feel free to give any specifics, especially if your method is unconventional such as a long array of burried pipes that disperse the heat into the ground.

To get things started, I cool my water in a closed loop with the heater core for a 1993 Mustang, currently with a single 120mm fan ~100cfm pulling air across the rad.

Closed loop with a black ice pro 2 radiator and 2 120mm fans sucking air from the outside through the radiator. VERY quiet :cool:

Open loop custom made watercooling...
Anyway it is a bit hard to explain you more details cos I must upload many photos... :santa:
Room temp is 28.5C and at full load my A64 has 40C (Prime95 full load, Vcore=1.744 2550MHz)..

Open Loop.

13 inch wide, 26 inch high "tower" of silent chux evaporative cooling with a 120 mm Sanyo Denki mounted at the top for the really hot days. The whole contraption has a raised "tabletop" so that I can use it as a coffee table.

I use a closed loop with a 77 bonneville core that just has the tubing stretched over the cut off stock tubes. 1 130 cfm 120mm Delta fan (really freaking loud) at 5 volts in a ghetto shroud made from 1/16th sheet steel.

Last edited:
Polonator said:
Open Loop.

13 inch wide, 26 inch high "tower" of silent chux evaporative cooling with a 120 mm Sanyo Denki mounted at the top for the really hot days. The whole contraption has a raised "tabletop" so that I can use it as a coffee table.

COFFEE TABLE! hahah thats pretty sick

Audi 90C radiator, dimensions are 25" x 13" x 2" - the barbs on the radiator have a
1" ID but used reducers to adapt to 1/2" tubing. No Fans on it.

Back