• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best S478 Mobo for OC under 85-90

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ExtraGhost

Registered
I just got a P4 2.53Ghz SL6S2 3245 and im planning to overclock it. What motherboard would you recomend. My goal is to reach 166-175 FSB to get a speed around 3.15-3.33ghz. Im not looking for extreme overclocks but these seem to be reasonable for this chip.

Also would the stock cooler allow me to run at 166fsb or would i need something better, If i do what can you recomend that is under $20, lower is always better.

I dont need anything extra like SATA or onboard sound or video.

This one is a bit on the high side:
P4P800SE

Seems like the best value and the one im leaning towards the most:
Albatron PX865PE Pro

GA-8IPE1000

Do all these motherboards have locked PCI/AGP Frequencies?

Any other sites that dont charge tax or are cheaper would also be apreciated.

Of those mobos you listed, buy the Albatron, that's a good mobo. The Asus and Albatron both definitely have AGP/PCI locks. You will probably need better cooling if you hope to break 3 gig with that CPU. I don't know of anything super cheap that cools good. Maybe someone else can recommend a cheap heatsink. Personally, I would look at what Zalman or Thermalright had to offer. Don't forget to use two matching sticks of RAM to take advantage of dual channel DDR.

If you don't mind getting a refurb mobo, check out this link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484R

as i have the Asus and the Gigabyte (step-up or w/e you wanna call it, the Pro-G version) i can tell ya get the Asus if ya got the cash, or get a refurb of the Gigabyte from newegg (what i did) and you'll be very happy

P4P800-E Deluxe

This one seems like a good value.

Also how is the warrenty work for refurbished items from newegg?

If i go with a cheaper motherboard i can also get a better heatsink and fan for the CPU.

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000PRO-G

Also whats the difference between this one and the non pro version?

For Refurbished items what items are acutaly included, such as the backpanel for the connectors, are any cables included?

Last edited:
Avoid the Gigabyte. Go with Abit, Asus, or Albatron with an Intel chipset.

Newegg sells the refurbs as OEM. In other words, they don't guarantee that all the items in the retail box are present. But, everyone I know (plus the couple of times I've bought refurbs) has received all the items like back plate, manual, and cables. But, there is always a slight chance that stuff might be missing.

i liek the IC7-G....i saw a modded one floating around here for slae for like 85 i think,... not sure though

Mike

Seems like i'll go with either the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe or the P4P800SE, the deluxe has some of the features i need such as firewire and an extra ide connection.

Also hows this for a heatsink/fan:

Zalman CNPS6500

Edit:
Hyper6

I found this heatsink for $25 and it seems to be much better than the Zalman at not that much higher cost. The noise does not seem to be that much of a problem for me so i should be fine with it.

Im a bit concerned that it seems kinda big and heavy though, and if it would fit on that Asus Motherboard.

XP-90

This one seems to be a lot lighter, but what about its performance compared to the Hyper6, while this one being $5 more expensive.

Last edited:
I would go with an ASUS P4P800-X and the XP-90.

The P4P800-X or P4P800-SE are boards I have used often for system builds and have found them excellent overclocking boards.
Refurbished are allright if you wish to take the chance on getting a good one. Yes, some get a good one but also some get boards that will NOT o/c well. Your choice. My advice is to spend a few dollars more and get good parts. Why cheap out on the most important part of the overclock. It's like buying a kick-*** amplifier and cheap speakers. Yes, the potential is there for the non-clipping power but you will never reach it with the speakers.

R

I decided to get a Abit IS7-E2, it has all the features i need and was'nt planning on going for more than 2 memory sticks anyways. I got it for 78 dollars shiped retail so dont have to worry about it being refurbished or anything.

Ill be ordering the heatsink(Xp-90) soon, anyone have any good recomedations for a resonably speed and sound fan?

thats a pretty good, thats the best OC board for the 865 chipset ..

maybe its IS7 only ...

but still at least it works ..

Back