• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where is the Super Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supergenius74

I've been overclockin since the days of Pentium 1 and my latest setup is fairly nice but I have one big question. Where is this super memory that people must have in order to achive high bus speeds? If you go to the CPU database and compare overclock speeds on all of the P3's there are alot of people who have his speeds that would only be obtainable by having a bus speed in the 170-200 mhz range and they have the same mobo as I do a BX-133. from all of my searching it seems even difficult to get ram to do 166 mhz, I personally cannot get either of my 2 sticks of MUSHKIN to go over 163 mhz (not bad for pc133 if you ask me). So how did these people get ram to run so fast, or are they just posting false scores? If anyone knows about or has memory that can run 166 +, by all means please tell me about....TIA:rolleyes:

hmm or they could be tricky like me and get a p3 1000E. i only needed pc100 ram @ 124 fsb to get 1240 mhz. i'm gonna buy some better ram and go for 1333 next month.

most people dont have ram that goes over 160 fsb because most motherboards dont have a 1/5 pci divider.

Well, Tonicom ram used to be able to hit 166 2-2-2, or 180 3-3-3, but later batches of it were not up to snuff, so none of the retail overclocking web sites sell them anymore (I picked up the last 256 MB stick from Compuvision). I think there are still 128 MB sticks out there (check Atacom). I hope I got the good batch but haven't set up my system yet to test.

Though Mushkin Rev. 3 (pretty expensive) is guaranteed to do 150 2-2-2, may be able to do 160 2-2-2, and possibly 170+ 3-3-3.

I think Newegg is now selling some PC-166 ram of an oddball brand (128 MB sticks). You may want to check it out.

Another tip: Compuwiz is going out of business and selling off remaining stock. He is selling exactly the same thing as Mushkin Rev. 3 (their top-of-the-line SDRAM, 150 2-2-2 guaranteed), for half the price of Mushkin: $47 for 256 MB. These are hand selected 7 ns Infineon chips. Mushkin has only recently switched to the 7 ns chips. These aren't even listed on Infineon's site, only their 7.5 ns.

I picked up two sticks. He may still have some left, the link is here:

http://compuwiz-tech.safeshopper.com/specials.htm?798

Knowing how Mushkin chips have a built-in 10% o/c buffer, these should do 160 2-2-2.

I have mushkin pc2400 and i can run at 169, 2-2-2 , and since DDR dont have cas 3-3-3 i can only get 172mhx 2.5cas 4 way interleave adn 2.9memvolts....but that is good u oi guess nevertheless

Back