• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with P4C800E-Dlx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

I was messing around with my P4C800E last night to find out the max mem-speed on pair of new rams I bought. I was using memtest to test the ram, after seeing some errors, I restarted the computer, but then it won't boot. I thought no big deal, the rams probably just couldn't handle the speed. So I unplug the power and let it sit for a bit. After couple of minutes, I plug in the power and tried to power up again, it turns on but the screen is still blank.

I turned it off again, this time trying to reset the bios with the jumper. When I tried to reset using jumper, I forgot to turn off the switch on the PSU, so when I set the jumper to clear position the computer actually powered on! :eek: I then quickly turned it off hoping no damage has been done to the computer.

This time, I turned off the switch on the PSU, put the jumper back to normal and tried to boot again. Still, computer just powers on but still getting blank screen.

Do you guys think I might have damaged the bios? I don't think anything is fried since I didn't smell anything burned.

These boards have a bios recovery thing. You could try that. I personally haven't used it myself but I have the same board and have put the thing through a lot and never killed it.

JackFlak said:
and have put the thing through a lot

:santa: :santa: :santa: :santa:

We have all done the same , but its one hard to kill animal :)

1) Try to do hard reset with the Jumper on the board.

2) Re plug your video card

3) Try anoter PSU

i tried removing the bios battery, but still doesnt work.

going to try removing everything and plug them back in and see what happens.

Does the comp POST, or do the fans just start spinning & nothing else happens?
If it doesn't POST, try unplugging the power supply (You don't have to worry about the switch being on or off this way!). Rewmove the mobo battery & then short the CMOS jumper. (This is the procedure from the Asus Manual.)
after at least 20 min. (to be extra safe) re-install the battery, power it up & see what happens.
If you get the usual POST display, follow the procedure HERE to restore the BIOS.
There is a basic BIOS on the Asus CD that came with the board. You can use that BIOS to get the comp running again. Pop the Asus CD in your CD-ROM & start the computer. During POST hit Alt + F2, Comp will then look for the BIOS file on the CD & flash the BIOS with that file.
Good Luck!
-Dave

If after removing the battery and power cord for 10 minutes you are not able to have a post then RMA is the way to go imo.

R

thanks baltoos for the tip. i'll try that.

as for rma... it's pretty much tossed out of the window, since i had the mb vdimm modded...

removing the battery and clear bios trick didn't work. comp still only power on and no post. i think i must fried the mb somewhere. will get a new mb tomorrow to test it out.

The Vdroop mod , killed your waranty , hey ?

Any way lets hope for the best .

I will sugest to not OC with the next one,above 3400.

it wasn't the high overclock that killed the mb, more like my stupidity that killed it.

anyways, i know it's dead now since everything works fine on the abit ai7. now i just have to remove all the mods and hope for the best when i rma it back.

ASUS does not have P4C800E any more , all that you get is just a socket 478 motherboard, IF you are lucky !!

I still don't think that board is dead. My board always gives me a blank screen when I go too high with an overclock. I never clear CMOS either. How bout trying another BIOS Chip? I'm guessing that when your board turned on when you shorted the CMOS, that it messed up the BIOS Chip. I'm not sure if the P4C800 Uses the same BIOS chip as the P4P, but if so, there is a P4P going at the classies for a cheap price.

But if you don't want the board, i'll take it :D

PM me

i figure it mite be bios, but i can't seem to find a bios chip anywhere.

solidxsnake, i'll let you know when i decide to let it go :p

If you modded the board, don't RMA it that just makes it more difficult and expensive for the rest of us. More than likely you took out the northbridge if you did'nt give it extra cooling. It's in your best interest to remove the droop mode and see if a lower ende cpu and config work then use the system for a low budget purpose Ie surfing, playing low end games etc. For this reason I don't extreme OC or Modd an expensive board until I've had it for a year and can write it off if I bust it. Sorry if this sounds like a flame, that is not what is intended but we have to all be responsible for our tweeks or we loose credibility on these forums.

I totally agree .. AlabamaCajun :)

Honesty above all is my MOTO too ..

Motherboard Mods CANSELS warranty , thats the LAW .

And the responsibility, belongs at every mature person , who desides to do MODs.

We are talking about, 200 Euros priced Motherboard, not about 10$ mouse.

Back