• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Install Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n6b72g

I just recently finished building a computer. Everything went smoothly with bootup, and I set out to load Windows XP. Setup begins and loads the initial drivers. However once setup gets to "Setup is starting Windows XP" (this screen is before you would format your hard drive) I either get the error message "pci.sys is corrupted" or setup just stalls at "Setup is starting Windows XP". I've tried 2 discs of Windows XP and I've also tried Windows 2000 all with the same results. I have tried different cd-rom drives and a different hard drive, but to no avail. The system is not overclocked and is at the default bios settings. Any ideas as to how I can fix this situation?

Same happened over here a couple weeks ago with a new machine. cause was the ram wasn't playing nice in dual channel mode. Memtest showed errors on test 6 and 7.

rmaed the old ram and got some corair.. all was well after that. ;)

Ok, I put a different ram module in the board running just single channel. I also increased the memory voltage. I'm still getting the same error. Some other suggestions would be appreciated.

No, I dont have a computer up with a cd burner at the moment. I used a completely different stick of RAM though.

I just tried installing Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm able to get passed the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" portion after about an hour of waiting. I just don't understand why windows setup stalls for so long.

Back