• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hydor Pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nerofiend

I have a WC system, the first and only one I have built. And recently the pump went out on it. I had a Hydor L25 in it and it was preforming rather well till it broke. Its a 1/2 OD system with a Danger Den RBX Waterblock and a Black Ice Extreme Radiator. No GPU cooling or anything else ( First time making a WC system, kept it simple). My main question here is that I want to replace my now broken pump with possibly a higher grade model like the Hydor L40 or L45 so I can get a lot more water circulating through the system. I have looked around and I cant really find much info on upping a system pump this high. My concern is pressure, with the added circulation the pressure i assume will go up a lot and I dont want to blow anything apart or creat to much possible back pressure on the pump and blow it either.

I know the Danger Den RBX is tested to 85psi but I do not know what my system currently runs at or what the new pump would put it at. I could be being overly cautious and stuff and i dont see the L40 or L45 putting me anywhere close to 85psi but I want to make sure im not wrong on this.

Anyone have anything to compare or know anything that would help?

Thanks in advance.

You really will not have much pressure in your system as it is a closed loop. Just goes round and round unless you have some type of restriction. What you want to look at is flow rate Gallons per hour.

If I get the new pump ill be going from 450 gph to 740/925 gph depending on what pump i get either the L40 or L45.

I can honestly go with any pump. I just used the Hydor before and it worked well for me and i dont know about other brands. Im just wanting a little better performance than the one I had, not that it was bad at all.

the L40/L45 are not recommended they would dump too much heat into a loop . I suggest you look at a more modest Danner Mag 3 since head and flow matters in a water cooling loop. The Hydor L45 has less head than a Mag 3 and dumps more heat into the loop so it is not a good choice for the money. You can find a Mag 3 for about $40 online.

I have had 2 Hydor L35's fail. I am never buying a Hydor again and I advise you to do the same. Thank god my MoBo auto shuts down on pump failure. I would get a EHEIM, they are very high qualtiry and I have never had a problem with them.

Jeff Moser said:
You really will not have much pressure in your system as it is a closed loop. Just goes round and round unless you have some type of restriction. What you want to look at is flow rate Gallons per hour.
I beg to differ:
Myth: A pump's flow rate is the only consideration to make when choosing a pump.

Reality: A pump's maximum head pressure is just as, if not more, important. Many waterblocks are relatively restrictive, and most aquarium pumps are not made for high pressure drops. In order to estimate one's flow rate, calculate all pressure drops, then overlay the result on top of the pump's P/Q curve. In other words, it's not easy, but consider head pressure, too.
Quote taken from page two of Watercooling Myths Exposed. (http://www.overclockers.com/articles1088/index02.asp)

I want to add to what runrunner20 said. Jeff Moser is half right and half wrong, the half wrong part has been covered by sunrunner20. However he is half right in that it is a minimal amount of pressure as in any pump you would pick would never blow apart your system or stuff like that.

If you are lookin for a new pump get a MCP350 or a 655, easily the two best pumps on the market today.

I have to also chime in and say get a D5/MCP655.

The presure/flowrate rating of that pump is MUCH better suited to PC water cooling, and is the current top pump out there. and IIRC a Hydor L45 will run you practically the same price. And as sewer already stated, will dump more heat into the loop.

are the D5 and the 655 pretty much the same thing? They look very similar if not the same, and they are bout the same price...

Back