• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram waterblocks? why not :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pf.Farnsworth

are there any waterblocks for system ram? I looked around and it doesnt seem like there is anything on the market. But I would think someone would have tried something on here, with people like Cathar its only a matter of time. :santa:

I know w/cing ram isnt terribly necessary but I'm running some mushkin redline at 3.5v and that stuff get's hot, and though I could just put a fan in i've already got a wc rig and I'm thinking, why not use it. I've got the MCP655 pump so I dont think ram would kill my flow that much. My question comes in on this, the AkwaFlo RAM Coolers seem to only go on one side of the ram, will this still cool effectively?

If you cool ram, you've got to cool both sides else its pointless. Ram chips cover both sides of the ram, can't just cool one set of chips and exepect the other side to be happy.

sunrunner20 said:
If you cool ram, you've got to cool both sides else its pointless. Ram chips cover both sides of the ram, can't just cool one set of chips and exepect the other side to be happy.

lol, one side will be nice and cool and the other side will be ****ed. :rolleyes:

the biggest reason for why not is not because it adds to system resistance. most people willing to use them would do so in a seperate loop if it impacted cooling of other parts to much.
the big reason is fabrication is increadably dificult with all the diferent board configs out there so in some cases a block cant fit because the ram is to close together. otherwise oem makers would already be flooding the market with them

I saw a good 5 MHz gain to my memory overclock by simply epoxying copper heatsinks to my memory chips.

A slight improvement in memory cooling can and usually does make a signifigant difference; there have been some very successful peltiered RAM watercooling projects in the past, for example.

The RAM waterblocks that are available on the market (that Aquaflow block for example) are poorly designed and inefficient - do not watse your money on them :-/.

If I were to implement RAM watercooling I would do so on an isolated loop with a small pump and a double 80mm radiator. The problem is designing an effective waterblock.

Here is an idea that I had, which would work really well with some flexible 1/4" ID tubing and a small radiator.

Attachments

• Ramblock.JPG
    Ramblock.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 214
if you have enough room to fit it on .

i have seen 1 set of ram blocks specifically designed for the NF7s2 that cooled all the ram from 1 block BUT not only did the owner say it took 40 hours to make the block but it took 3 hours just to get the ram and block installed . for that kind of monumental effort ( the moajority of the problems being space bwtween the ram) a low speed 120mm fam and copper heat sinks would do you just as well

Watercooling RAM doesn't make sense in most cases, but a few people do it. I haven't seen any commercial RAM blocks that make sense, but I have seen copper heatspreaders with copper tubing brazed on. How well this works I can't say, but as RAM doesn't make that much heat (even if it gets rather hot without active cooling) and it has far more surface area than CPU, even a rather crude waterblock would probably get the job done. Of course, you want to be sure that the tubing doesn't put too much torque on the RAM.

I agree that a RAM block doesn't belong on the same loop with the CPU and GPU, but if you want to have only one pump and radiator, you could install a T so that the main loop goes straight through, and the RAM loop is at right angles. The restriction for the main loop won't be too bad, and for the other loop you might actually need a valve or other deliberate restriction to keep it from drawing more flow than it needs. If you want to watercool your chipset, hard drives, and other things that don't need much cooling, you could put them on the side loop too. Someone around here did that and said it worked well for him.

No point in water cooling your RAM. It would hurt performance way too much plus you couldn't justify it with the heat that RAM puts out.

Back