• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Operation imminent Bonny

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wet Neophyte

Registered
Went in perfect.... if the bonny fits you must equip.

I decided to take off the pull shroud, didn't fit and didn't make sense. All the information I found on its results seemed to be nuance, combined with anecdotal evidence.:confused:

I gutted my case of any useless fatty metal and cut sufficient room to permit ease of breathing for the '77bonny.

My case is staying upsidedown so in the picture it's right side up, the right way. If you see anything you think is wrong let me know, this is my first loop. I'll install barbs later. 120's on there way because the lian li 120's suxors IMO.

I read Jas's sticky on tubing, but I need some guidance. I'm buying my w-block, pump and this tubing tomorrow morning. They have two kinds of 1/2" clearflex 60.

ClearFlex 60 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD Tubing

ClearFlex 60 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Tubing

Which tubing do I order to go with the recommended MCP655 and the recommended Strom block.... and when I order this Storm tomorrow: "Optional compression fittings", I stay with barbs right? Thanks

If you're going to answer that last bit on tubing you can post here, or in this link. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=397451

I made my Res today with home depot tubing.

SewerBeing said:
the thickwall is probably a better idea since it won't kink. Also I'm interested in seeing your shroud for the bonny. Also I would cut that tubing on the T-line a little and you have a cap for it right?

Yeah, I secured that Aluminum shroud with less than a quarter inch thick Aluminum bracket bars over the shroud. I put four bolts in the corners of the shroud box, in return pinned the bonny tight; it's not going anywhere. When I get my fans I'll put some of this Frost King weather stripping under them and where the bonny is pressed against the chassis.

I think I'm going to keep the bonny OG and not paint it or the Aluminum shroud. What's the benefit of painting again? Blackbody radiation, style? Does the paint act as a seal of insulation on the fins (wouldn't that be bad)? Does it act like rustoleum to protect from oxidation?

Cap: What are you using, does it need to be a valve?

for the cap I'm just using a rubber stopper I found at ACE hardware for like $.5 and its working great for me. As far as painting it goes if you paint the outside only you are looking at a minimal loss as long as you don't paint it too thick. Also in pure theory it should protect against oxidation however I do not think you will have to worry about that for a long time.

You don't paint the fins. When you paint over the thing, you paint at an angle for the fins so that the paint does not get into the heat transfer part of the heatercore, leaving it perfectly fit to conduct heat. Also, we cap tlines to prevent water evaporation. The seal evedently needs to be tight becuase with just a plain cap on mine I am still losing water too evap.

Doesn't that look familiar... ;) (I'm mounting the PSUs in the drive bays).

Good work!

Attachments

• caseframe-preprime.jpg
    caseframe-preprime.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 199
10 In Stock, Ships Today Till 6pm EST.........mine was storm #20 bought @ 11:26 EST. __FedEx

Got my 655 & tubing on the way __UPS

Hopefully all will come tue-wed!

It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature of the bonny. He is your master now.

The way I calculated the schematic, I'll be using less than 3ft of tubing (not counting vertical T-line/res). The only places I'll be defying gravity will be 2-3" from pump to block and inside the bonny (since it's too wide to place sideways) . After all is measured I'll hook it up and test its GPM's :SewerBeing's sticky.

I'm flipping my bolts around on my shroud brackets.......looks like I'll be using some expansion foam for the gaps.

Edit*** bigben2k pretty cool, are you doing the barb mod?...What's your shroud material.................

Last edited:
Looks like the case I have ~ Chenming 901. I ended up mounting my rad to the top of case:

comp_5.jpg

Even after mounting the 2 120mm x 120mm x 38 mm fans on the bottom, I still had room to mount 2 PSU's.

I'm working with a Chieftec Dragon server case.

The shroud will be fiberglass.

I opted to solder copper tubing directly, and use it to run part of the way within the case. Otherwise I'm using regular vinyl.

I haven't used the case above in a year or two. I was going to use my pure acrylic mid-t, but when I saw how massive that heatercore was, I pulled that case out of the closet. I'm going to say it's a Chenming too. They all look like carbon copy Antec's, at least the internals do.

I gutted that riveted mid shelf in mine though. While cooling with just air, that shelf was slowing the rise of heated air.

After looking at some pics here with the cores.... wide radius bend tubing in small cases.... cooling more than just the CPU........how the hell are they getting that all in there? Mad skills.

I think I purchased mine from tigerdirect, they had such a good deal at the time on it I bought an extra door with a window. These cases give great ambient temps; at least this has been my experience with them. Especially when you have it clean, you get a serious void in there.

I haven't checked their ratings, but this site came up for the full-towers.
http://www.3dcool.com/Products.asp?id=14&page=2 I have that silver one. (bottom left)

cripy said:
where on earth can you get cases that big I always wanted one to fart around with.
I happened to pic mine up off of ebay brand new for $60 bucks shipped. It came beige in color, but I just painted it. Couldn't beat the price shipped. :)

Yep. Got mine at a local reseller, also beige. $69 at the time.

Chieftec makes server grade cases, which is what these are. BTW, they're ~26 inches tall.

It's fun putting a system together, isn't it? I find it satisfying to know that "I built that." Keep up the good work. I really like this Globalwin case I just built a new system into. It is absolutely outstanding. I mean every little detail is really thought out and it is wonderful to watercool in this case. Everything easily comes apart and is easy to work with. Cable management is also built into the case, and it is easy to run cables behind the MB tray. I highly recommend this case. They were unfortunately out of black when I ordered (figures), so I painted the inside black, and the outside metallic blue. It turned out really sweet.

Back