• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aim Cost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Dear AIM users,Because of our overloading of our servers, we are being forced to extract our non-active AIM users. Because this is a free service, AOL has exceeded the budget for the AIM service. We are asking that you send this exact message to 20 other AIM users to ensure us that you're an active AIM user. Our system tracking devise will pick up this message to keep you on our active list. You have 72 hours to complete this task or your service will be cancelled immediately. Starting JulY 30, 2005, we will be charging a small fee for registering of a screen name for AIM. Thank you for your time and for using AOL or AIM.Sincerely,Mark JenkinsAOL Owner and Founder

hunk of b.s ya ?

I'd like to think that the man who "Created" AOL & AIM would have better grammar and said "Device" not "Devise".

same message different dates...i cant believe its your first encounter....anyways somebody has alot of fun annoying people by sending that to a single person.....never fear the average aim user can spread things like that faster than the plague

yea thought so...i told the person who sent it to me to ignore it.
she said she was supersticious...

It would have been announced properly, not a pass-on IM if it were going to happen.

Not to mention the poor grammer...
There is not even a space at the end from Jenkens and AOL...

Haha, I remember when I first saw that. I argued with my friend about it, told them that everytime I log in their servers can detect it. So if they want to know if im active or not thats how, then said if they are so stupid they have to use some bot to detect everyone then I refuse to use their servers.

Edit: Also they probably make money of aim, with the ads they have.

Even if they tried to charge for AIM there are too many alternatives that people will lose interest in paying for a service they can get for free. Add in the fact that you have programs like Trillian and Miranda that will allow users to go onto aim without actually installing AIM, AOL/Time Warner would lose too much money if they did something that blatantly stupid.

Back