• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Decoder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ascii2

What is the best DVD Decoder?

What is the best free DVD Decoder?

Other relevant information also appreciated.

There ain't no such thing as a legal "DVD Decoder". There are various (legal) DVD viewers however: WinDVD, CyberDVD or nvidia DVD viewer.

There are several free (in the libre sense) programs which can also play DVDs: mplayer, videolan, xine. They aren't really legal however since DVDs are protected by patents and CSS. None of these free players paid the licensing fees for those.

Ascii2, you have a PM.

DVD viewing and DVD 'decoding' (which normally means ripping to a hard drive) are very different things and require different applications.

Actually I think most of them are free. He he means is talking about burning DVDs that is. Last I heard courts decided it was ok to make yourself a backup of any dvd as long as you own it. Though that was awhile ago so i t may have changed.

I believe above members may be confusing "DVD decoder" with "DVD dycrpter".

A DVD decoder is used to decode DVD video, and is nessesary to view DVD movies using Windows (basically a type of codec). See attached image.

I have tried the following DVD decoders:
GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder
CyberLink PowerDVD 6's included decoder (via PowerDVD)
DScaler 5
I have found GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder to be useless (it didn't work). DScaler 5 worked using DVD Player (Windows 2000) but would not correctly decode for Windows Media Player (6.4 and 7.1).

All testing was done using Windows 2000.

Image displayed by Windows 2000 Professional, after DVD Player is executed without a DVD decoder installed:

Attachments

• dvd_decoder.gif
    dvd_decoder.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 77
Last I heard courts decided it was ok to make yourself a backup of any dvd as long as you own it.

Ever since the DMCA in the US and the EUCD in the EU, this is illegal, no matter how many DVDs you own: you're circumventing an access control in order to copy the copyrighted data, which makes it illegal.

Back