• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilAerosolCan

I'm about to finish up my computer and I'm not sure which windows to get. I see Home, Pro, Media, and 64. What are the pros and cons of each? What do y'all recommend?

It seems like Pro is for people who network more, and 64 bit I see has a lot of driver problems. So if I'm mostly gaming, surfing the web, and burning CD/DVD's should I go with home or media? Is media the same thing as Home, just with extra stuff? And does the Media edition work with SP2? I know, so many stupid questions, thanks for the help though.

For what you will use it for, I would go with XP Home. It will work great for you. Media Center is more for connecting to a TV and having PVR functions.

As they have said I would go home. Remember though home does not support duel CPUs but it does HT so if your new system is a duel go home. Other then that go home unless your a network admin or something.

My opinion is Win Xp pro.application for win 64 have not published yet or there are few.Win xp upgrade potential and abundance of drivers and programs

Home, I'm gonna get it. Just ditch IE- firefox, Outlook- Tunderbird/yahoo/gmail, and your good!

Is there anything Home has that Pro doesn't, or is Pro everything home is and more? Also where would I be able to find this XP Pro with the free 64bit upgrade?

No, Pro is a superset of Home, so it has everything that Home has and then some. You can find info here on the upgrade:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx

Frankly, though, since it's likely expiring soon, I wouldn't rely on getting Pro now to upgrade to x64 later for free... If you've got a 64-bit processor and "standard" hardware (Asus mobo, Creative Sound Card, NVidia Card, etc) I would just go straight to x64 now. Otherwise, I'd probably stick with Home until Longhorn ships.

I did have some driver headaches but the only "difficult" ones were the RAID drivers. Once I got past that it was smooth sailing -- and if you're not using RAID, this may not be an issue at all.

-Brian

I would recommend Home because it's cheaper, and other than extensive networking, it can do anything you would want it to.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have one more question (sorry). With the stuff listed in my sig, has anyone heard of any problems with 64 bit Windows and my hardware's drivers?

Back