• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me get my ARC path correct so that I can dual boot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aaron_ATX

Here's the senario:

In the system in my sig, currently I am booting off a 160 gig sata drive(20 gigs of which is unallocated), with windows 2000. Here is my current boot.ini file:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

This works just fine. I also have a dvd/cd burner drive attached as a master to my secondary IDE channel, jumpered as such.

I downloaded the evaluation copy of win xp64, burned it to CD.

Shut down the machine, installed an 80 gig PATA drive as a master (cable select) on the primary IDE channel.

Bios boot order is: CD rom first, then HD's. HD's boot in order of SATA, then PATA primary channel.

Booted to XP 64 install CD, deleted the old partition that was on the recently installed 80 gig PATA drive, selected quick NTFS format to that drive and began install process. Computer rebooted.

Now since my boot order is set to SATA first, my win2k install comes up, just like I want it to. From here i'd like to edit my boot.ini file to enable me to dual boot between 2k/xp64. No dice so far, as I can't figure out how to get the ARC path edited correctly to allow the xp64 install to continue. Here is what I tried last, which when I choose the win64 OS to boot to, gives me the generic "blah blah cant load operating system error" basically telling me that my ARC path isnt right. (sorry, real tired here or i'd copy the error).

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The /noexecute=optin /fastdetect portion of the xp arc path was included in the intial boot.ini file that the win xp64 installer created.

This shouldn't be this hard. Any help?

The Boot.ini file you posted...
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Give this a try instead...

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
The parameter x in multi(x)...the ordinal number of the adapter should always be 0, and:
disk(0) is always 0 (zero) if the ARC path starts with MULTI(), because MULTI() invokes the INT 13 call and therefore does not need the DISK() parameter information
...as per this KB article:

BOOT.INI and ARC Path Naming Conventions and Usage
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;102873

The term "rdisk(0)" refers to physical disk 1, and as such..."rdisk(1)" refers to physical disk 2, as per this KB article...

The purpose of the Boot.ini file in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081

Last edited:
Yeah, I read up on that a bit last night to try and refresh myself on how it works....and I swear I tried the same settings you suggested. But it was late....i'll give it another whirl tonight.

Back