• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need something to instantly close an App

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

Is there any application that will allow me to hit a designated hot key (e.g. a function key) and either instantly close an app (e.g. IE Explorer or Word) or minimize it?

Alt+F4 key usually closes the current application. (probably won't work if an app is hung though).

I use the "Show Desktop" shortcut in the Quick Launch toolbar...

You could prolly set up a "hot key" to initiate "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Logon name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" ? Dunno. I haven't tried, but this is what the desktop shortcut links to?

:cool:

Both of those will work, but not if the application is not responding. What is your specific situation?

...and Windows + M mimimizes the current window.

Though if an app is hung (as has been said so many times before), that's a whole different ball game ;)

JigPu

RhoXS said:
Is there any application that will allow me to hit a designated hot key (e.g. a function key) and either instantly close an app (e.g. IE Explorer or Word) or minimize it?
Yes. "explorer.exe" should allow for what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Actually, I am the boss. There are times when I have to quickly minimize an app if it contains something confidential (personnel issues, security plan, etc.). I have to suddenly reach for the mouse, making it obvious I am hiding something. Although this is sometimes necessary, especially with respect to many business issues, it is just better not to be obvious about it. It just would be nice to be able to quietly push some hot key to do this.

They Have a program called windows Ninja, you install and pick the hot key. It will hide everything even the taskbar minimized windows. Then a different hot key will bring it all back.

Back