• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first DIY setup - temp questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woodchucker

Registered
This is my first self built setup and I wonder if the temps are OK.
Reading some of the temps posted here leads me to believe it should/could be better.... then again, maybe not.

System is:

AMD 74 3400 2.4ghz (s754)
ATI X800XT
Abit KV8 PRO

CPU Swiftec 6002
GPU DD Maze4
1/2" ID Tubing
XSPC RAD (2x120mm) http://www.xspc.biz/r120d.php
XSPC Pump 1000 L/hr 1.8m head http://www.xspc.biz/pumps.php
Way too noisy Silverstone 120mm fans with controllers 110cfm each running about 50-75% - (to be replaced with.....ADVICE?...want something quiet enough at 50-80cfm)
Distilled water with Water Wetter and a few drops of dye

Loop is: PUMP-CPU-GPU-RAD-Tline-PUMP

When bleeding the loop, I could see that the flow rate is fine, as both blocks aren't that restrictive. Bled for a few days and then assembled.

So thinking ATI Tool ran both the CPU an GPU at 100%, I got the following results:
NOTE: Temps are reading from Abit Uguru which I think takes CPU and GPU temp from internal diodes? Room temp taken from Uguru device on desk.

Room temp 24-25c
CPU idle 37c
GPU idle 27c

CPU load 47c then slowly up to 50c
GPU load 33c then slowly up to 35c

When quitting temps jump to about 2c above idle and then take a while to get back to default idle.

Then I tried prime95 (had never used this before)

CPU idle 37c
CPU load 53c
It went straight to this temp and never changed, even when I put the fans from about 60% to 100% and down to 50%

Thinking I didn't apply the ceramique properly, i removed this and put on AC5 as described in the swiftec manual (just a tiny dab in the centre). Temps reamined identical.

So are these temps good enough, or might I have a problem?
The GPU temps look great to me, just wondering if the CPU temps are on par with a dual rad and 6002 block.

I think I've bled fine and there aren't any bubbles left in the RAD...will do a bit more tilting tonight.

6y1vls.jpg

The springs wont go any tighter anyway, think they've reached the inner spacer, as I thiink was meant to happen. But to answer your question, no the block can't move.

I'll remove the block tomorrow, to see how the AC5 did spread.

Just did a mild overclock to 2.6ghz and prime95 temp went to 69c !

Unless this damn Uguru sofware is incorrectly reading temps?

I would suggest making the loop go rad>>pump(top opening)>>gpu block (from bottom of the pump) >> cpu block >> rad with the t-line in between the pump and the gpu

6y1vls1rh.jpg

Also maybe play with the direction of the fans blowing on the rad (and while you are doing that keep the side off)

That's quite a sig, sewerbeing. :)

First, I would check and see how warm your water is getting. If the radiator or the tubing is warm to the touch, you have a problem getting heat out of the loop.

It doesn't sound like that, though, especially with the way your temps are jumping around. The onboard sensors might be off, but they're not going to act crazy or misread by 20C. I would keep checking the block mounting - it's acting like a block/CPU contact issue.

On a side note, you may want to try taking off the 120mm grill off the 120mm rear exhaust fan. It should give you better airflow that way.

Polonator said:
On a side note, you may want to try taking off the 120mm grill off the 120mm rear exhaust fan. It should give you better airflow that way.

Taking of that grill is useless the restriction it imposses is minimal so it really has no effect on airflow. All it does it keep his fingers safe :p

Heh, I suppose some noobies would get the tubing mixed up...but no, if you see the pic and compare to how I described my loop setup, you will see that the inlet is indeed in the centre.

I'll reverse the fans, but I also think it's a contact issue.
Mainly because of the GPU temps are so good: 27c (2c above ambient), and a jump of about 6-8c max at load.
Also the tubing is cool to the touch.
Strange though, as when I removed the CPU blobk the 1st time the ceramique did actually seen fine.

Another thought is I'm using the wrong backplate. I have two, both of which differ in how much thread (that the screws thread on to) pokes though from the back. The 1st backplate I installed, it seemed I couldn't get the screws to reach the backplate. With this one it reached. I might take a picture to show what I mean, when I check the block again.

Why don't they make more quality blocks that are secured using the retention bracket, or a tension screw above the block....like I once had with a Koolance setup?

Oh, does anyone know if I can run Uguru software and motherboard monitor at the same time?

Also, can anyone here with a 6002-64 tell me if they tighten the screws until it tightens no more (reaches the inner spacers)?

Last edited:
Actually Swiftech has among the highest quality blocks on the market today. Just look at the base its almost perfectly flat. Their quality is absolutely kick *ss. However you should try the other back plate. It sounds like the cpu does not have enough contact pressure since the screws don't go in all the way.

Thanks for the info...kinda confirmed what I was already thinking.

I'll take the block off again tomorrow. I might throw a few washers on the screws to see if it has any effect, as swapping the backplate will be a b*#tch.

SewerBeing said:
icedfire101: the order of the components matters very little in a loop maybe 1C at most. His problems certainly are larger than that. If you don't believe me please read: http://www.overclockers.com/articles1088/

yes i understand that, though component order was not the point of the modifiction, the point was to reduce flow restriction (since he is making an unnecessary 360 degree loop)

Last edited:
I use that block and dont use the black frame thingy that ur block is sitting on, just put it on without it. The block will sit flat on the cpu its a very large surface area for the block to sit on. This way u can eliminate thinking that the block is not making contact.

It took me a couple of times to get my block to sit correct and get my temps straight untill i removed that stupid black frame thingy. On my MSI i just use the metal plate that goes on the bottom of the board just for the threads.

Icedfire101 said:
yes i understand that, though component order was not the point of the modifiction, the point was to reduce flow restriction (since he is making an unnecessary 360 degree loop)

Again if that were his problem both of his temps would be bad however this is a cpu mounting issue if you look closely at the temps on the cpu.

Back