• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bonneville Heatcore Shroud Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wffsoccer

Registered
I just finished making a cardboard/wooden shround out of a shoebox because it fits great, do you guys think it would be ok to mount it using Hot glue? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Erich

also, how do you leak test a system, and for how long. thx...I also cannot get into the classifieds, but I am told someone sells shrouds there for the bonneville heatcore, can someone hook me up with an email of the guy who sells them.
thanks

Hot glue would be fine to use. It's sturdy, yet removeable so you can replace the cardboard shroud with another shroud later on.

Leak testing should be done at least overnight, with no power plugged into your motherboard or anything below a WC component (so there's no power to short anything out with incase of a leak).
If you have a 12 volt pump, you can do the jumper trick (search the power supply section) to get the psu running without a motherboard being plugged in.
This also allows time to get any air bled from the system before lighting it up, so the cooling is working fully before you heat up that cpu.

Sorry, but I cannot/willnot bypass the safties involved in making the classifieds trustworthy. The only way to get there is to make the 100 posts (with better than 1 word posts--make 'em relevent) and carry a real world ISP e-mail address.
Just spend some time here, there's so much going on, it'll take much less time than you think ;)

Im not looking for a free pass into the classifieds, but there has gotta be some way for me to contact this one person whom supposudly makes nice shrouds for these radiators. Thanks for all of the advice though, im glad the hot glue will work.

Really the only wait to get into the classifieds is to be patient and post. If you work like I did, you can get enough posts for classifieds access in a few days. It took me 3-4 days of posting good posts(do NOT post spammy posts, then you’ll never get access, ever) before I got access.

I leak tested my system for 4-5 hours, its all a matter of preference, ill admit I was too lazy to make my own shroud so I bought an acrylic one from dangerden, I did have to dremel the hell out of my armor case to get the heatercore to fit.

cripy said:
I leak tested my system for 4-5 hours, its all a matter of preference, ill admit I was too lazy to make my own shroud so I bought an acrylic one from dangerden, I did have to dremel the hell out of my armor case to get the heatercore to fit.
could you elaborate on that a bit more..I am torn between Armor or Stacker....

I use hot glue on everything.... I've secured a free standing card in a PCI slot before with it.

cripy said:
I did have to dremel the hell out of my armor case to get the heatercore to fit.
I used to waste money on those Dremel cutting wheels__ inflated prices. I only use them on tight spots (the bonny's pipes) & on soft metals .....they just get wasted on steel cases. The carbide tipped jigsaw blades are the best for long opened cuts. However, the jigsaw tends to not work as well on unsupported material, like a 1" lip.

I'm going to remake my Aluminum shroud, this time I'm cutting my template out of poster board. I also won't cut it with wire cutters from China. I have the tool for cutting this soft Aluminum..........behold the rusted sheet metal shears! Made in 1867 and still cutting through like butter!

$5.00 dollars for a flat piece of 24" X 8" Aluminum ,close to perfect fit for the '77bonnycore with a little over 1" hanging over the bonny -- both sides for height.

You can see the difference in the cut here...those shears were made for that.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4238/207tq.jpg

This is what the template for the "shoebox" type shroud looks like, then I folded on the dotted lines. I'll post the true the dimensions when I do the remake.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1246/18ca1.jpg

Last edited:
Back