• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubing Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wffsoccer

Registered
I currently a, using 1/2" tubing, but i really hate the big bulky tubing, is it really THAT BIG of a deal if i use 1/4"?

thx

I think 1/4 inch would be a bottleneck for most wc systems (thats my opinion). The connectors to bring the 1/2 down to 1/4 would also be a pain and not that attractive IMO. What about 3/8 inch?

1/4" tubing would really create a lot of restriction in the system and if you're using restrictive blocks you'd probably be better off with air. 7/16" fits the 1/2" barbs very well so that would be my first suggestion. It's also possible to get 3/8" tubing over the 1/2" barbs with a little effort so that'd be my second suggestion. What else do you have in the system (pump, blocks, radiator/core)?

3/8 is still bulky, plus my block and pump are both 1/2 so if im gonna make a significant change, id like to go to 1/4, I guess i just dont see why its a huge deal. If it helps, Im using a MCP655 to only cool the cpu with NO resevoir.

thx

I have messed with a lot of different configurations and that includes 1/4" tube and 1/2" blocks with a pretty strong pump- Eheim 1250.

Performance did go down quite a bit but not so much as to cripple the system, so this MIGHT work for you.

There are variables to consider though: how much restriction does your system have in the block and radiator?
1/4" tube will restrict flow a LOT more than 1/2" tube.

Most systems that use tiny tube have low-flow blocks and very small pumps.

I would definitely say that 7/16" or even 3/8" would be just fine as far as performance is concerned, and quite a bit easier than 1/2" tube to deal with.

Using 1/4" tubing isn't a big deal if you've got a system designed to use it--there are European systems that get good results with 1/4" tubing in low pressure, low flow systems. But, it becomes a big deal when you take components designed for use with larger tubing and a high pressure, high flow system and then try to use them with tubing that just can't supply the water they need for effective cooling, which is what it sounds like you're thinking of doing. A water cooling system is a SYSTEM and if you want good results you can't just mix-and-match design philosophies. I think my best advice right now would be to suggest you do a search on tubing size here and at Procooling and read some of the discussions.

Oh, and a reservoir in and of itself doesn't make any practical difference in the effectiveness of the loop.

I think i'll just stick with trying to stretch 3/8 over my 1/2 ports and c how that goes.
thanks guys.....

now about the bleeding and leak testing...how long and how?

Back