• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Media Center OEM is 30 Euros cheaper than Professional OEM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
media cernter is home i thought with the purdy media interface.

Pro just has the extra security feature and administration tools in it.

I popped in the first installation CD (of 2)

and the installer says "Windows XP Professional Setup"

more software for less money weeeee :santa:

edit:

I needed to purchase a lot of copies of XP Professional for my parents' company and the only English copies of XP that the shop had was Media Center. I bought one to find out if it is actually Pro with more stuff as I'll need a copy of Media Center myself. This is working out perfectly - a lot of savings as I'll need another 4 copies :D

edit 2:

I guess we'll find out if it really is Professional with additional stuff once the install finishes :eek:

Last edited:
No option for joining a domain :(

guess Microsoft disabled some of the functionalities of Professional

oh well I guess it makes sense after all

very nice default theme though :D

gorilly said:
what happens if you want windows media centre AND want it on a domain? for example in a staff lounge in a company?
I just reinstalled again and it does seem possible to join a domain, but only during the installation process, assuming you use a network card (or onboard network chip) that is old enough to be recognised by Windows XP SP2.

Once the installation process is complete it becomes impossible to join a domain.

Media Center is based on Professional, but MS somehow hacked some of the functionality out of it.

Back