• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pswart

Registered
Hi ,

I have a current water cooling setup running on my GPU and chipset.

I live in South Africa and it's currently winter here so the water cooler works fine. Ambient temperatures, however, goes up to 35 Celsius in summer and this will severely hamper the cooling.

Is there something available to cool the water over and above just the fan? I am not interested in Peltier cooling. Unless the peltier can be used to cool the water rather than being placed on the GPU or chipset directly.

Any suggestions welcome!!

what you are looking for is a water chiller, but with the money you put into that you might as well go phase change.... do you really need to WC the chipset?

bobmanfoo said:
what you are looking for is a water chiller, but with the money you put into that you might as well go phase change.... do you really need to WC the chipset?

Thanks,

Yes I have to WC the chipset and the GPU. I run my system OC'd 24/7.

I have a Vapochill unit for the CPU. I am not interested in sub zero temps for the GPU and chipset.

Wow South Africa. Do you see a lot of cool wildlife?

And back on topic, with the money you would be spending on a water chiller, you may want to look into a completley different way to cool.

Some ideas I had is to set up like this Pump>Tupperware filled with ice>Rad>Block>Pump
So you could have like 2 feet of coiled tubing laying in the ice and covered in it. Then just dump the ice when it melts and refill when you need too.

Or you could get a bigger radiator. Although, if you have a small case and go for a dual or even a 3 fan rad, you may need to mount it outside your case

EDIT: You could air cool your chipset and straight WC only your gpu. That would help with temps as the water doesnt have to go somewhere else

peltiers will not work all that well for you since the hot side needs to be cooled to keep the cold side cold. Also they are inefficient and suck a lot of power. They are cheap however that I will give you and you will need a dedicated psu for them. All in all its not worth the money especially what you spend for power. Stick with regular watercooling you will be fine unless your temps reach 60C.

If your humidity is low you could build a bong. They are almost free and can get water temps below ambient in some setups.

Bongs are nice :)
Also, if you own your home, you can bury about 20-30 feet of copper tubing in the yard about 2-3 feet deep, and use the cooler earth as your radiator. Below the surface, the ground is usually around 55 degrees farenheight.

Pelikan (search usernames) had a nice setup cooling his cpu with a longer loop buried in his yard.
I'd do the same if my huge radiator in the cool basement didn't work so darned good.

it might be helpful if you make the rad more efficient, if you could add a hroud or something to make the cooling you alrady have better.

Do you have air conditioning? simply moving the comp closer to the AC unit can make a huge difference, if you're getting that AC's air through the rad. other than that.. you could build either a peltier chiller or a phase change chiller.

Back