• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flushing out system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wenty

What's the best way to do this? Do I have to flush it out with distilled water? :shrug: I'm a noob so any help would be great. Thanks! :)

I heard vinegar is good, not sure how it reacts to the glue on plexi tho. Distilled water would do bascially nothing. Use it when you are ready to fill your loop up. (distilled + 5-10% antifreeze is perfect)

Well if he is simply wanting to change the solution from old to new wouldnt using Distilled water be the best way? I would emagin if you needed to do a full cleaning taking it apart and cleaning it pice by pice would be best but I dont know fom any experience. Best wait for a pro to chime in :rolleyes: .

If you are just wanting to flush because you are draining and refilling and nothing funky is going on, then you can just drain/refill/drain/refill with some distilled water. If you want it cleaner, add some vinegar to the water to the loop, run the pump for a while, and drain/refill it with distilled until ALL of the vinegar mix is flushed out. IF you really want to flush it out big time, you can get adapters that are made for waterbeds from a drain/fill kit and hook up a hose from your sink into a barb on your computer loop, open up a good drain line, and crank on the hose. Then refill and drain with distilled and refill with your additives and distilled.

Voigts: When I read the manual that came with a '77bonny it said that tap water does heavy damage to the cores parts. Are they talking about long-term usage of city water? Or does the calcium, chloramines, fluorides, nitrates etc.. in tap water stick to, corrode, change(molecular level) the cores internals. Or are they just saying that because it's for a car and it's going to be in for several years 10+. Because the manual makes tap water out to be a serious caustic liquid.

If I were to run tap water would my bonny not last a year....and my pump --block?

You don't ever want to run tap water in the loop on a daily basis. I just said that you can use a hose to force flush out the system and then fill/drain it with distilled water to rinse out the tap water and then fill it again with your distilled water and antifreeze or whatever you are using. Tap water has too many minerals in it to use it for PC watercooling, but as long as you rinse the tap out with distilled, you are fine.

Yeah, I understood the method of mass_forced_flushing.... I was just asking about the heatercore maker’s recommendations, were they talking about long-term over 5+ years.... I'm sure you'll get some calcium build up etc... depending where you live, if you have soft water...near the gulf or heavy mineral ridden water near the mountains. I guess the main principle is not to restrict flow through mineral build up....I presume the liquids travel through the flat panels that the fins are attached to in a up and down motion???? Would a quick flush with liquid-drano knock out clogging additive deposits in a heatercore? Or is that way too caustic to use for a short period?

I hate to be quite the botheration, but I have this unbounded ability to be overly inquisitive.

Back