• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3/8 vs 1/2 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

citronym

I'm thinking about replacing my pump, because I wan't to ditch the res and use a t-line, but I need an in-line pump. I dont have a credit card so I cant order off the internet, so I was looking at the danner mag 3. It comes with 1/2'' fittings, and my BIX is 1/2, but my maze3 is 3/8''. I asked a while back about changing the brass barbs on my lucite top maze3 to nylon 1/2'' barbs, and several ppl suggested I should, and several others said no. Is it likely at all that with some care I could change it w/o cracking it? Wouldn't it be beneficial to my flow if all of my fittings were 1/2''? Would the benefits be worth the risk?

Has anyone ever made a new top for a lucite maze before, or is it possible? I do not have access to any machines or anything unfortunately.

It would be nice to tweak this system out better before I spend money on anything new. I'd love to buy a d5 and a storm, but that will have to wait.

tia

there's no reason you couldn't change the barbs on the lucite top without cracking it, as long as they have the same size threads. if you're using the same sized tubing then those two fittings would have an extremely small impact on flow.

Thanks crimedog. I was planning on moving up to 7/16'' tubing, since the 1/2 home depot tubing is impossible to work with. Is there anything I should do or consider when I attempt to remove the old barbs from the cover? Should I take the top off the wb? Would warming it up a little help?

thanks for the input

What you don't want to do is apply pressure to the barb at an angle. As long as you apply slow even pressure when turning the barb should come right out. Box wrenches are good for this, but I've used everything from crescent wrenches to pliers to vice-grips. As long as the barb and pressure on the barb stays perpendicular to the block, you'll be fine.

I switched maze3 fittings from 1/2 poly to 3/8 brass. Just twisted em off. Then applied some plumbers tape on the threads of the new fittings. Never caused any issues with the lucite top.

Back