• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP resets itself (take a look)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

hi.. i have this weird problem ... i overclocked my p4 2.4c to 3.2 and when i`m copying small files... alot of them lets say 20 gigs of jpegs.. the pc restarts...

ok so i cranced down the OC.. to 3 Ghz.. same sh*t.

i have a levicom 450W

5 HDD - 3x200 1x80 1x36.5
radeon 9800pro iceQ
1 DVD RW
soundcard
no aditional coolers

could it be the PSU?

yup, at load the PSU fails, and restarts the computer, and its not the best brand, go for your OCZ, Antecs, and Fortrons

Which BSOD did you get? If it's STOP: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA or STOP: 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Then it's probably your RAM.

well i dont see anythin before it chrashes.. it just resets the whole PC... it might pe XP it might be something else.. i`ll ask in the asus forum if the mobo cant handle 5 HDD's

its the PSU, its crashing on load, you have system that is overclocked, and requires a lot of Wattage, the generics do not put out steady or reliable power.

what do you mean generic? i mean... a CPU @ 2.4c does 60W, a 9800 pro does 80W and a HDD is about 20 lets say 30.. so 150.. that still leaves a whole lot off watts...

and levicom was named thats why i bought it.

i could have bough theese brands instead:
be quiet
chieftec
enermax
revoltec

it just crashed 2 times while i do data recovery.

first off that is putting out 89W + for the 2.4C, about 68 for the 9800pro, 20ws for the memory, 25W each for the hard drives, assuming you have 1 optical drive so another 25, and Fans so another 6W

89W+60W+20W+125W+25W+6W so we are talking at an unoverclocked estimate at least 355W and this is assuming this isn't overclocked. You've added watts to both the cpu and the memory, and the gpu.
355W, leaving you 95W

Last edited:
Ok, well it is deffintly not the PSU. So count that out. haha just messing with you Dicec, I would also go with the PSU as most likly. Ram as said above would give you an error, bios would be more of a time thing not load. Heat I am sure you already checked with prime95, and like mbm or something. Windows would also most likely give you an error message. As for the mobo I am have no idea, I don't know what they do when there are to many HDD. I would think you either just get a bad post beep and it wont load a HDD or it just wouldnt load at all. Though I could be wrong.

ok.. well i have a 500w levicom on another pc i`ll swap them and see if it helps..
i downcloacked everything now

Another thing you might also want to check for why your PC restarts.

Right click "My Computer"
Go To "Advanced" under "System Properties", then "Startup and Recovery - Settings"
under "system failure", make sure "Automatically Restart" is unchecked.

Now when the PC crashes, it should let you see what the error is before automatically resetting. From there it can be diagnosed what is causing the issue.

on the My Computer icon, right click it and hit Manage, go into the Event Viewer folder and find System, look at the most recent entries in that, look for errors.

i downcloacked the cpu to 2.4 and default vcore... and it worked.. so i guess it was the PSU... but still 450 W i thought where enough.. and the automatic restart was unchecked

SybrCLocK said:
i downcloacked the cpu to 2.4 and default vcore... and it worked.. so i guess it was the PSU... but still 450 W i thought where enough.. and the automatic restart was unchecked

The total wattage on a PSU is misleading.What you need to do to make it easy is look for what dicecca112 has suggested.

I had a generic 650 watt that could not power an XP 3000 at stock lol..

yeah but i bought this becouse of its brand...
i could have bough theese brands instead:
be quiet
chieftec
enermax
revoltec

if the brands dont do it.. jeez.. where do i turn to?
(i guess make a dual PSU setup)

I can honestly say i never herd of the PSU you are using untill I entered this thread..And if you look around here the PSU most suggested is the OCZ and Fotron because so many of us have used them and put them to the test with some seriously power hungry rigs like what I have in my sig as an example.

I see your list,,BUT I suggest for conversation sake you consider what is tried and tested for a good overclocking PSU as Dicecca112 suggested..

Back