• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iPod causing Windows XP To Crash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawkins

Hey all, this is the second or third time this has happened.

All of my songs are on my iPod and I have none in my iTunes because this is my new computer and I dont want to fill my HDD with my music.

Problem: Every once in awhile I will be playing songs through my iPod with iTunes, and it will freeze. not the whole computer, but just iTunes and the iPod. Then ever more rarely (such as tonight :bang head ), It will cause my whole computer to spontaneously restart. I assume this is called "crash". Then when it boots back up, it does the disk check because it crashed and it always comes up with some iPod file that is messed up.

Next time it happens I will write down the file name, but unil then, has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

For starters turn off the auto reboot in windows. Go to control panel/system/advanced tab. Click on the settings tab next to start up and recovery. Then uncheck automatic restart and click ok. That should stop the annoying reboots. Next, I would uninstall itunes and then reinstall it. Make sure you have the latest version. Good luck.

As said above turn off auto restart so you can see errors, and reinstall Itunes so any curropted file is gone. Also does the Ipod use drivers?(not sure how they connect) Windows may just be having a problam loading it or something.

The software is a port from MAC to PC and most often this porting is not 100% successful. Just do an Google search for:

IPOD Problems Windows

Or

ITUNES Problems Windows

and you will see what I mean. Many are using other Windows based software that will allow them to access the IPOD whilst they forgo the proprietary software interface.

R

TRY THIS:

Start>Run>type "services.msc">go into the Services listing, and look for iPod Service...disable that sucker! I found it of no use what so ever.

ropey said:
The software is a port from MAC to PC and most often this porting is not 100% successful. Just do an Google search for:

IPOD Problems Windows

Or

ITUNES Problems Windows

and you will see what I mean.

google the alternatives and you will find problems as well. you can't really google-prove anything that way.

i would try reinstalling itunes. stopping that service might cause you some headaches later on. i doubt its causing the problem.

copy the music to your hard drive. the ipods hard drive has a shorter life than your desktops, and at most you have 60GB of music on there (probably more like 10 - 15gb).

Last edited:
zip22 said:
google the alternatives and you will find problems as well. you can't really google-prove anything that way.

i would try reinstalling itunes. stopping that service might cause you some headaches later on. i doubt its causing the problem.

copy the music to your hard drive. the ipods hard drive has a shorter life than your desktops, and at most you have 60GB of music on there.
Yea, harddrives are way cheaper than ipods, no need to put that wear and tear on you ipod.

Alright, Thanks everyone!

I stopped the automatic restarts and will re-install iTunes tonight.

For my iPod, i have a 20GB 4th gen? (whatever the lastest gen is) with about 10GB's of songs. Problem is, I dont have all of the songs. I have some from my friends iTunes. I have my iPod set to manually update it myself so I can add songs from my friends libraries. I do have about half of my songs (which are mine) on my other computer which I can access through my network. I guess if i ever loose my songs Ill just go over to my friends again lol.

Thanks

shawkins said:
Alright, Thanks everyone!

I stopped the automatic restarts and will re-install iTunes tonight.

For my iPod, i have a 20GB 4th gen? (whatever the lastest gen is) with about 10GB's of songs. Problem is, I dont have all of the songs. I have some from my friends iTunes. I have my iPod set to manually update it myself so I can add songs from my friends libraries. I do have about half of my songs (which are mine) on my other computer which I can access through my network. I guess if i ever loose my songs Ill just go over to my friends again lol.

Thanks
Can't you copy the music from the ipod to your computer?

you can, but not as easily as puting them on. there are multiple ways. there are some third party applications, or you can just copy the entire music portion of the ipod (its arranged in weird folders and filenames - you will need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders, copy the music folders, then un-hide them all (can be done in 1 step)) to your hard drive, add all the songs using itunes (make SURE "copy to itunes music folder" option IS checked in the preferences). this will put the songs into good folders and filenames. then you can delete the copy you made from the ipod directly, and all the files will be on your computer in a nice organised way. i have also used one of the third party apps. i wasnt impressed and i like having as little installed as possible.

You will probably need to use a third party application to do what you want to, give that a try and see if it stops the crashing.

i just posted how
-enable viewing of hidden files and folders
-look in the ipod folders and copy the folder with all the music sub-folders in it (labeld F01 , etc or something like that)
-right click on the folder, and unhide it (unhide folder and all subfolders and files)
-in itunes preferences under advanced, check the box that says Copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library
-add the folder you just unhid

now all your music is in itunes, and arranged nicely in the itunes music folder, so you can delete the folder you copied off your ipod.

zip22 said:
google the alternatives and you will find problems as well. you can't really google-prove anything that way
You can do what you wish. I do know that when I am finding problems with hardware that a google search will often not only come up with that problem but often find a solution.

Who is trying to prove anything? :rolleyes: I am trying to show that there may well be an identical issue that has been resolved.

R

Back