• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two Storm G4's? Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

So.. They say that since the storm G4 is a restrictive block, it underperforms at low flow rates. In my setup, I intend to use the MCP655. I will have two CPU blocks and a BIX 120mm (and possibly adding a second BIX later on, if possible, if neccesary). I'm on the fence about a reservoir.. I want a nice one - there aren't any. I'll probably go T-Line if I can't find a good reservoir that I like.

The question: Will two Storm G4's in series (or parallel) perform worse than the MCW6002 in this setup?

Fact of the matter is that the MCW6002 will actually fit my motherboard (NCCH-DL - the G4 doesn't officially fit YET.. it might by the time I buy tho, and theres always modding) and it costs half as much. It would be nice to have the best (well.. second best) block x2... but if the performance is worse (or the same) I should definatly go with the MCW...

What do you guys think?

I'm thinking one MCP655 should be able to handle that with a BIX2 (as long as you don't add a gpu block you won't need more than that with adequate airflow). However you might want to PM Cathar since he is the resident Storm god (after all they are his design).

If you want last bit of performance, two G4s will do you fine. In light of recent events, you'll probably be looking for the Swiftech Storm as Cathar has transfered the rights to them for the G4 (the G5 & other designs are still his). The good thing about the Swiftech Storm is it does a little better at lower flow rates because of some tweaking thats been done to the design. If you can find two of Cathar's G4s on the forum sales section then that will work just fine too, just don't expect to get two new from Cathar ;).

In any case, if the G4 doesn't fit your motherboard then that is an issue that is hard to get around. Maybe someone on the forums has modded their board &/or blocks & you can ask them about it (or they may post here). The MCW6002 is a good block & will serve you well should all else not work. Running them in series would be the best idea, less tubing, less headaches, etc. The temperature difference between the inlet on the first block & the outlet on the first block (which then goes to the second block) shouldn't be more than 1°C at the most.

Last edited:
Moto7451 said:
...Swiftech Storm...

...if the G4 doesn't fit your motherboard...

...in series would be the best idea...

Yeah I'm talking about the swiftech storm..

People HAVE fit them on Nocona class motherboards.. there is a not-so-extreme mod that Cathar said people have done - regardless, I would rather wait until swiftech releases a new top, or special mouning bracket for the G4.

I know that in most cases in series is best.. but doesn't parallel lead to higher flow (with less pressure)? For most setups this would be bad as you would have a CPU block in parallel with a videocard block.. my setup would have two identical blocks.. would this be correct? I would probably run series anyways (for simplicity, and to avoid having all sorts of obstructions) but if it was much better.. who knows?

You'd be better off with series.

If you run in paralel you are spiltting your flow rate in half between the two blocks, and thus not utalizing the block to its full potential (the Storm needs high flow).

The pressure loss across one Storm shouldn't bring the pressure to less than half so it will end up being better in series I believe based solely on that.

Ok.. gotcha on the series.. you know.. it makes sense.. and I don't know why I didn't really think about that before..

So people figure that one MCP655 will keep the flow and pressure up high enough to power two Swiftech Storm G4's and a BIX 120 ?

Yes sir.

I would however suggest a bigger Rad for a dual system. A second rad woudl also work, but remember to NOT run the airflow in series, each rad needs it own airflow.

Hmmm, what is it with all this "Storm needs high flow" stuff?

Anyway, the answers for this are all at Swiftech's web-site.

If you put the two blocks in series, you effectively double the per-flow pressure-drop.

Storm%20pd%20vs%20fr%20SM.gif

So we're doubling the height of the yellow line on that graph at any flow.

The D5's (MCP655) PQ curve can be found here:

MCP655-SM.gif

Now unit conversion time. 1mH2O = 1.42PSI. 1gpm = 230lph.

Eyeballing the graph we'd expect flow rates to fall at around 1.1gpm for the pump and two blocks alone. Factor in tubing and radiator resistance, and we'd be estimating around 1gpm flow rates.

http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php

At 1gpm, the Storm block is second to no other block, keeping in mind that the Swiftech version of the Storm is slightly improved.

Jas said:
... bigger Rad for a dual system. A second rad woudl also work...each rad needs it own airflow.

Yeah I know the bigger radiator would be best.. but alas, theres no room in my Antec 3000B. Im already removing the hard drive trays and making a custom mount.. and thats just for one 120. The second 120 would need to hang off the back Swiftec RadBox style... and I'm not such a fan of that.. I'm the type who would bang it on a doorway carrying it around and spray water all over my shoes... and computer ;-]

And 100% self contained would be best... ho hum...

Cathar said:
Hmmm, what is it with all this "Storm needs high flow" stuff? ...

...At 1gpm, the Storm block is second to no other block, keeping in mind that the Swiftech version of the Storm is slightly improved.

Hey.. thats just what everyone says ;-]

And damn you Cathar.. I was hoping to have a nice excuse to save some money ;-]

eh.. maybe they wont release a properly fitting adapter by the time I'm ready... only time will tell... I just have trouble avoiding the best performance for money... good for the computer, bad for the wallet :-]

Back