• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Board that has AGP and can use Pentium D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wing

Hey Everyone,

I would like to upgrade my CPU to a Pentium D, however I would have to upgrade my mobo as well since my current one is an ABIT IC7-MAX3 which is socket 478. So my question is is there a good board out there that can do some overclocking that can accept a Pentium D as well as an AGP video card. I have a X800XT that I do not want to get rid of just yet since i got it not too long ago and dont wanna just get another one.

Anyinfo would be awesome, thanks.

/Wing

I just checked the Asus site, and I dont see any support for the Pentium D and the " hybrid " (P5P800) 865, LGA 775, AGP chipset. Anyone got any info on other motherboards.

there aren't any that can as of yet. the 945 and 955 chipsets are the only ones that can accept the dual cores, and they are both Pci-E only

Epox was saying they were making some that would work. I dont particuraly want an expox but at the moment its looking like I might buy one.

Why does everyone want to cling onto AGP and DDR? They are a dying breed. I made the switch to PCI-E and DDR2 a long time ago and haven't looked back since. Here is what I said in another thread.

batboy said:
If you want to buy a mobo that is future proof and will support the Pentium D dual core processors, then you need something with the i945 or i955 chipset, like the Asus P5WD2 or Abit AW8 or Abit AL8. If you are on a budget, then the Abit AA8XE like I have is an excellent overclocker. Pair that up with a 630 P-4 that has 2M cache. If you have good cooling, that should hit 4 gig. All of these mobos I mentioned will require a PCI-E vid card and DDR2 RAM.

Last edited:
batboy said:
Why does everyone want to cling onto AGP and DDR? They are a dying breed. I made the switch to PCI-E and DDR2 a long time ago and haven't looked back since. Here is what I said in another thread.

I think it's more Of a case people can't afford to upgrade completely and still need to cling on too components.

I think it's more Of a case people can't afford to upgrade completely and still need to cling on too components.
I couldn't afford to upgrade my CPU/Mobo/RAM/Video card...just the CPU and mobo.

new intel boards require you to upgrade to ddr2 i think as well as pci-e video cards. Havent seen any Intel boards that allowed you to carry over the DDr ram as AGP cards to use along with p-d's.

That ASrock looks pretty cool... Support both AGP and PCI-E, and both DDR and DDR2. I'd probably get one if I was looking for an Intel system...

Wicked_Klown said:
From what I have seen the DFI 875 can use the Pentium D. With a BIOS flash.

This rumor was floating around for awhile, in fact I think DFI had a statement to the effect in a BIOS upgrade description. But, later DFI confirmed it was not true. At this time, only i945 and i955 chipsets support the Pentium D processors.

Back