• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did dtek send me the wrong size barbs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gouda96

I recieved my dtek ww today and when I attempted to install the tubing my 1/2" id tubing slid onto the barbs with basically no resistance. The barb was basically touching the tubing. I checked my order reciet and made sure I didn't mistakenly order 3/8" and it confirmed I had made the correct order.

Once i screwed down my house clamps I turned on my ehein 1260 and not surprisingly water was spraying out of all 3 barbs. I was able to contain the leaking once i tightened the clamps as much as I could...atleast it seems i did. The 1/2" Y piece they sent fit as i would expect a 1/2" barb to fit. Since I don't have any 1/2" barbs around to compare to I was wondering what you guys thought.

Would 3/8" barbs significantly affect cooling performance with just the cpu on the loop with a chevette core? Should I feel safe with my 1/2" tubes clamped down on the smaller barb like that in the long run?

I believe it's touching it should be fine? I have had some tubing that looked to "right" but that was fixed with some muscle and hose clamps. I leak tested for 2 days just to be sure. And as far as performance diminishing, if the ID of the barb is significantly smaller, then your loop might not be as efficient, but as far as temps being worse, there are too many variables to tell.

Bryan d.

This isn't loose...this is basically touching the tubing. You can slide the tubing on and off as if they were 1/8" barbs. Every other 1/2" barb I have takes strong effort and twisting to slide the tubing on. I emailed dtek asking them to send me 1/2" barbs, so hopefully I will have them soon.

gouda96 said:
This isn't loose...this is basically touching the tubing. You can slide the tubing on and off as if they were 1/8" barbs. Every other 1/2" barb I have takes strong effort and twisting to slide the tubing on. I emailed dtek asking them to send me 1/2" barbs, so hopefully I will have them soon.

You should head on down to home depot and get some barbs to do a direct comparison.. side by side..

I've never had barbs slide on and off.. I would be worried if your hose clamps were there for more than just precaution.. maybe I'm just crazy tho...

Apparently we were thinking the same thing since i just got back from home depot. They are deffinately 3/8" barbs...way to go dtek...hopefully they will just send me some chrome 1/2" barbs. Too bad that home depot had such a bad barb selection or I would have just bought some 1/2" barbs there. So far there is no leakage so I might install the block and use those barbs for now, but I haven't decided yet.

Man that sucks, what a bunch of bullcorn. If it's a bit of work to change the barbs out once you get new ones, I would just wait.

Dam what a pita.

Well I sent dtek an email over 24 hours ago, and another this morning and still no response...the block didn't leak for 24 hours so I'm probably going to install it for now. I can't take another second of aircooling.

they sent me the the wrong barbs on a pump i got from em... Emailed, and they said new 1/2" ones are in the mail. If i were you i would get the 1/2" barbs. better doing it now than draining the system and redoing it later.

And buy some RTV while your at it. You will need it! It is what dtek and cather use(or Cather uses something very simular, forget exactly what he called it) You don't really need very much. But can't really have too much unless you let it get inside the block.

Already have a couple of tubes lying around. I hope they get them to me soon. They sent me an email asking about o-rings making sure i have the wrong barbs, so I am relieved they responded...was getting worried there for a minute.

I have a Dtek WW. The hose on the barbs is tight, really tight. You should have a very hard time pulling the hose off, if you can at all. My bet is you got the 3/8 barbs.

Yeah, I just measured them and compared to some 1/2" barbs, no question they are 3/8". My tubing has realy deep indentations from the clamps now, I hope I don't have to cut the tips off and lose a 1/2" of the tubing.

Anyway, I told them my barbs had 1 o-ring and that I measured them to be sure. I realy hope they overnight me the correct barbs tomorrow since it has now been 2 weeks since I first ordered the block and I am already ****ed about swiftech releasing the storm right after I bought a ww.

Wow, this is some **** poor customer service. They send me the wrong thing, and I have recieved 1 email in 4 days questioning my ability to use a ruler...they still haven't responded with how they plan on fixing the situation. This will deffinately be the last time I buy from dtek.

Well, got an email at like 2a.m. weird time for a response:

"Ok just double checked the batch of barbs that yours came out of an they are measuring 1/2". The barbs with the oring inset as you described are the 1/2" versions. They cannot compare to the plastic 1/2" barbs because those are oversized for clampless tubing. Tygon is a real pain on these barbs but they work just fine with the clamps due the soft material. I can send you out another set of barbs asap but I am afraid it may be the same thing. Please let me know."

Okay...if you use undersized 1/2" barbs THEY AREN'T 1/2". I ordered a speciffic size. That's like saying I want a 70" high def t.v. and they bring you something that measures 20" and say it is an undersized 70. This is rediculous. I measured the damn things the internal and external diameters are those of a 3/8" barb. I even have plastic dtek barbs from a tc4 rev2 and brass barbs from a dtek pro core to compare with, and they are much smaller.

The internal diameter on the 1/2" barbs is big enough to fit a 3.5 gram tube of as5. However this same tube is almost the size of the barbs on my ww. It isn't even close, but yeah...they are both the same size... :bang head

Last edited:
I realy wish it wouldn't take them more than a day to send out a 2 line response to my emails. I am sure they get a good number of emails but it isn't as though dtek is a massive company. I guess if they send the wrong things out often, and send 2 emails accusing their customers of not knowing how to use a ruler then I could see them having to write a lot of a emails.

Back